cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client asking for ID

Lester S Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
11 of 18

yes, that's the sad part.

Actually, the project was posted with a budget of $850, but during interview he told me he will only pay in AUD (australian dollar) which is lower than USD. So i realized that's a lot of work for a very very low price because the work also requires script writing(lesson), video editing, audio. and it turns out he is just paying 12$ for each video.

So I said to him to make it 850USD for the 50 videos, 10mins long each video. I guess he can't find someone who can help him produce a video so he hired me.

to give you an update. After showing him the Upwork's terms of service, and all the replies in this forum, he didn't asked for id anymore and to my wife, he just made me sign Confidentiality Agreement and Contract Agreement, only my name and signature so. Thank you guys, thanks Melissa.

Community Guru
Melissa C Member Since: Jul 22, 2017
12 of 18
I'm glad he at least doesn't want your ID anymore. I hope the project goes well for you 🙂
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
13 of 18

@lester S wrote:

yes, that's the sad part.

Actually, the project was posted with a budget of $850, but during interview he told me he will only pay in AUD (australian dollar) which is lower than USD. So i realized that's a lot of work for a very very low price because the work also requires script writing(lesson), video editing, audio. and it turns out he is just paying 12$ for each video.

Be very careful with this client. Make sure each milestone is FULLY funded for the agreed upon price before you start working on that milestone.

So I said to him to make it 850USD for the 50 videos, 10mins long each video. I guess he can't find someone who can help him produce a video so he hired me.

I would advise you to raise your rates. Figuring out roughly for those 50, 10 minute videos with requires script writing, lessons, video editing audio and the recording the client is only paying you about $2.25 per hour for all that work. So, you are perfectly right in saying that this client couldn't find anyone else at the rate he's paying to help him produce a video, ...... until he found you. And, I hope I'm wrong, but I feel that you'll be working with this client a long time, because already, he's asking for revisions. Expect quite a lot more revisions to come.

IMO, rates should reflect the quality of the work you do, your experience, and expertise, Not the area you live in.

to give you an update. After showing him the Upwork's terms of service, and all the replies in this forum, he didn't asked for id anymore and to my wife, he just made me sign Confidentiality Agreement and Contract Agreement, only my name and signature so. Thank you guys, thanks Melissa.

14 of 18
Thank you for your advice.

Yeah, a lot of work for $17 per video now. He is from Australia and he based his budget in their currency which is lower than USD. And he think that he is overpaying me because he made a conversion of 850 AUD to Philippine peso. But I explained things and told him about the service fee which he doesn't know i guess.

Sometimes I'm thinking that maybe he's new to upwork and not so familiar of how things work so I just want to help him despite of the issues, still trying to offer him help.

Thanks Kathy.
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
15 of 18

Lester - I'm not an Upwork employee, so I don't know exactly how this works when a client from another country is paying a freelancer. But I'm assuming that Upwork charges that client using USD. and the client pays that amount in whatever that converts to in their country. If I'm wrong, I hope someone steps in and corrects this. So I'm sort of confused when your client, from Australia would need to convert their payment to philippine pesos. Everything is, I assume, conducted in USD and the conversion rate is done by the bank of the freelancer.

I don't think being "new" here has anything to do with payment conversion transactions as everything is handled by the bank. So, once a client and freelancer establish their financial accounts USD conversions happen when money is automatically taken from the client and automatically when a freelancer is paid.

for example. a client is charged using USD. The bank converts that to the currency of the country the client lives in and the client pays that converted amount, When a freelancer withdaws their payment it's withdrawn in USD and then the bank converts that to the currency of the country the freelancer lives in and they get paid in their country's currency.

Again, I may be wrong, but I'm assuming that's how it works.

The only help a new client may need is navagation on this site such as, "where do I go to xxx" or "How do I add another milestone." etc.

16 of 18
You are correct Kathy, and yeah I am also giving him tips like- he doesn't need to hire me for each video with a new contract,just activate a new milestone for the next video we are going to make.

Thanks kathy
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
17 of 18

Kathy is correct. All prices on Upwork are in USD, and non-US customers are either charged in USD or (in some countries) they can choose to use a local billing method in their local currency, in which case Upwork will convert it.

I agree that Upwork isn't super great about making it clear that all $ amounts are $US - but as an Australian client myself, I don't understand clients who don't check. Personally, unless I *know* a website is local, I assume any $ amount displayed on the Internet is $US.

There is generally no reason a client should be calculating a contract value based on their currency or your currency or anything else. The price on Upwork is in USD.

18 of 18
Hi, i would like to ask a follow-up question regarding this matter.

Can you give me an idea of How much should I get paid in this project, let's say per video that is 10 mins long?

I do all the english-filipino translation, script writing, audio video recording and editing. I am not really professional but i think i am good and he likes my work.
He's paying me 17$ per video, there 50 videos to be done.

Thanks!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS