🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client asking for Refund
Page options
nudratgondal
Community Member

Client asking for Refund

Hello, 

I have started to work with a client last month, what he has done just sent the offer with a one-liner instruction. He asked for 10+ blog posts or comments and then shared 17 links with me, I have worked on all those 17 posts within 3 weeks as Weekly limit was 5 hours and it took about 14 hours in completing the project.

And when it gets completed I started to ask him if he needs any help he can ask, and please end the contract if there is nothing else for me. He hasn't replied any question since the contract started. So, he hasn't ended the contract. I asked him, again and again, that without active milestone it can affect my JSS. Since it was an hourly contract so I get paid after the review from Upwork. 

Yesterday he has replied and said that I have taken more hours than the expected. And I need to refund him the amount, I just told him that sir I was available and worked according to instructions and spent my whole time on it, how can I refund for which I have worked.

I tried to convince him that he is the person who has not communicated and is responsible for it. There is so much lack of communication that he is getting to know about my work after4-5 weeks, so how can I be responsible for it. Then he asked to split the amount, that I have to refund half of the money, why when I have worked hard to get it. I just told him I'm not responsible that he wasn't concerned about his writers for a couple of weeks and suddenly he gets to know them & just ended the contract.

Now he has sent me three refund requests for three weeks, what I have to do now?

I know its a long note, but still looking for kind responses. Thanks. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

His requests for a refund are baseless.

He is a bad client who does not see you as a real person.

But of course you need to be polite at all times.

Don't spend too much time communicating with him, but tell him that you want to help him and ask him to explain the reason he is asking for a refund, so that you can better process his request. When he replies, thank him, and tell him that you are going to take some time to consider his request. You can tell us what he says, and you can talk it over with us.

Sometimes it isn't really about the money. Sometimes clients just want to be heard.

The more you can treat him with dignity and respect, the better you will feel.

If it was me personally, then I would tell him that I would issue him a refund, but I need some time to look over everything and make a decision that will be fair to all sides. It might take me a few weeks. Because it is important to take time in deciding things like this. Then I would give him a refund. Maybe 10 percent. If he is nice and polite.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
prestonhunter
Community Member

His requests for a refund are baseless.

He is a bad client who does not see you as a real person.

But of course you need to be polite at all times.

Don't spend too much time communicating with him, but tell him that you want to help him and ask him to explain the reason he is asking for a refund, so that you can better process his request. When he replies, thank him, and tell him that you are going to take some time to consider his request. You can tell us what he says, and you can talk it over with us.

Sometimes it isn't really about the money. Sometimes clients just want to be heard.

The more you can treat him with dignity and respect, the better you will feel.

If it was me personally, then I would tell him that I would issue him a refund, but I need some time to look over everything and make a decision that will be fair to all sides. It might take me a few weeks. Because it is important to take time in deciding things like this. Then I would give him a refund. Maybe 10 percent. If he is nice and polite.

Hello Preston, 

Thanks for your precious time, yes I asked him very politely and even he agreed that it was his fault that he didn't respond and noticed it after 5 Weeks. Now after his refund requests I haven't responded it yet.

As for refund is concerned I may issue a 10% refund as you suggested but he is asking for 50% which seems difficult. How can one just give money back if even its, not your fault? 

JoanneP

Hi Nudrat,

Can you please share the contract ID of the job your are referring to so I can look into this for you? Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

I have a similar issue . The client was very happy with my work but a day after he is asking for refund becuase he said i pressurized him and that i had made the font of the assignment large to make it look 2 pages instead of one.

Tarmah I wrote:

I have a similar issue . The client was very happy with my work but a day after he is asking for refund becuase he said i pressurized him and that i had made the font of the assignment large to make it look 2 pages instead of one.

Telling a cient that they "have to give you a good review" (and calling the client "bro") is utterly inappropriate.

What font did you use?

I don't exactly remember.. I think it was 14 but I didn't cheat on the
client. I showed him the work and he was content over it. He replied with
good remarks and immediately paid the amount.

Tarmah I wrote:
I don't exactly remember.. I think it was 14 but I didn't cheat on the
client. I showed him the work and he was content over it. He replied with
good remarks and immediately paid the amount.

Was the job for 2 pages (of what?) or for x words? 14 is certainly not the usual font size for most things.

What was the actual job?

And why do you tell clients they have to give you good feedback and call them "Bro?"

The task was to review a code and write it's steps in 2-3 pages.
OK I agree I was wrong calling him bro but please note I am not a cheater. I asked him repeatedly and only after he gave approval did I submit work. I had worked very hard for that task and neither do I cheat.
It is the client who is going against his words.

I even offered him to review the work despite the fact that it was not my mistake but he doesn't reply.
He just layed a useless excuse asked for refund and never replied.

Sorry I somehow didn't give the clear chat. Look here the client is clearly satisfied and he immediately paid the money.

kat303
Community Member

That job was an hourly job. On hourly job you are paid for the HOURS you worked, NOT the work you produce. The client can not dispute any hours that showed on the Tracker that you were working on his job. The only thing a client can dispute is:

• manual hours entered. 
  • hours above what was assigned for the week
  • low or very high keystroke activity
  • screenshots that should you were working or doing something else besides working on that job such as playing games, surfing the internet, reading/sending personal email, watching youtube videos
  • screen shots that show nothing.
  • no annotations on the screen shots Tracker took

So, IF you used tracker and annotated the screen shots it took, then there's nothing for the client to dispute. 

At this point do NOT refund ANY money. and do not continue to communicate with the client. Just move on. 

Thanks Kathy, 

That's very kind of you to guide me. Thanks for your precious time. 

re: "Thanks for your precious time, yes I asked him very politely and even he agreed that it was his fault that he didn't respond and noticed it after 5 Weeks. Now after his refund requests I haven't responded it yet.

As for refund is concerned I may issue a 10% refund as you suggested but he is asking for 50% which seems difficult. How can one just give money back if even its, not your fault?"

You are NOT obligated to refund any money to this client.

But sometimes hearing a client out and offering a relatively small refund is enough to help the client feel better about things and increase customer satisfaction.

You should always retain an awareness of what leverage a client has, and whether or not the client actually has any power to affect you. For example: If a client has closed a job, then the client can no longer leave any feedback. If you close a job, the client has a 2-week timeframe in which they can leave feedback.

After a client has left feedback, the client has far fewer options that can have any negative impact on you. So when you are dealing with a client at that point, it is more based on trying to be helpful and increase customer satisfaction.

Clients can request refunds, but their ability to do so diminishes with each passing week. For both fixed-price and hourly contracts, there are strict time limits on when a client can file a dispute.

The PROPER time for any decent, moral client to deal with concerns (regardless of Upwork's rules) is while a contract is open. After a contract has been closed, then a good, decent person needs to move on and not try to get refunds or jam up a freelancer.

After a contract has been closed, if a client has further needs, a good, decent person will consider their options to be:

- hire a previous client to do more work, and pay her for her work

[or]

- hire somebody else to do the work

A good person does not look back on a closed contract and try to get refunds or force a previously-hired freelancer to work for free.

mayank_patel_
Community Member

I am facing a similar issue. My client was happy with the work I delivered he even went ahead and have me 5 stars along with a good review. Fast forward 1 month he tries to contact regarding an issue, I asked him to jot down all the steps he performed with the code and give me the details in a document. He refuses to do so and asks me to answer on slack either. And then after 3-4 days he is asking for refund.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

a3b2da51
Community Member

😶😶

d173df1a
Community Member

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you are facing a refund request from a client who did not communicate with you properly and did not appreciate your work. I can understand how frustrating and unfair that can be, especially if you worked hard and followed the instructions.

According to Upwork's policies, you have the right to decline the refund request if you believe that you delivered the work as agreed and that the client's request is unreasonable or unjustified. However, if you decline the refund request, the client may file a dispute within 30 days of the last payment, and Upwork will initiate a mediation process to resolve the issue. You may also risk getting a negative feedback or rating from the client, which could affect your reputation and future opportunities.

07cde080
Community Member

you have the right to be paid for

935d1fa9
Community Member

Take the time to understand the client's concerns and review the work you've done, the communication history, and the instructions provided.

Maintain a calm and professional tone in all your interactions. Avoid becoming defensive or confrontational, even if you disagree with the client's perspective.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths