🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking for SIGNIFICANT changes after w...
Page options
thomasweissjr
Community Member

Client asking for SIGNIFICANT changes after work was accepted and contract was closed.

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure what to do here. I had an offer to produce 2 versions of a logo (one for light background and one for dark background) and a favicon. The original brief had specifics that were followed and along the way I sent numerous screenshots to the client. He liked the versions after several revisions so I sent the deliverables in several file formats, he accepted the work, closed the contract, and left feedback. 3 hours later I recieved a message from him asking to change the design. He wanted a completely different element incorperated into it. I responded that I would be willing to sub out one element for another but that was all and that, since the contract was already over, I didn't like doing things like this. I subbed out the element and sure enough he wanted major changes. I responded that I would need to hear from Upwork because neither party would be protected in this matter (not to mention that I wouldn't be getting paid for spending more time on a completed job) and he got nasty. He said he would like to go back and change the feedback if I wouldn't change the design. I again explained why I was uncomfortable to do this, explained that the contract was closed (to which he replied "THIS IS THE CONTRACT!"), and sent him his own design brief.

My questions here are:
1.) am I on the hook to provide any other work for this guy?
2.) can he dispute this even though he accepted the work and was clearly happy with it in the messages? I took screenshots of everything just in case.
3.) can he go back and edit the feedback he already gave?

Thanks everyone. I hate dealing with people like this and really feel like this guy is after multiple versions of this logo. I also feel like he's trying to bully me in to doing free work. Thoughts? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "Do you think it would be a good or bad idea to block this client? I certainly would never want to work with this guy again"

The contract has already been closed.

Feedback has already been left.

Payment has already been finalized.

What do you have to gain by continuing to communicate with this client?

Blocking him sounds like a good idea.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
tlsanders
Community Member

He can't change his feedback unless you enable him to.

He can dispute, but he's unlikely to get far since he's already paid. Upwork doesn't make decisions in a dispute, just tries to get you to negotiate a resolution. If you can't agree, then the only way forward is to pay $291 to initiate arbitration. Unless this was a high-dollar contract, it's unlikely that it will be worth his while to fight it out that way.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I hate dealing with people like this"

You're right. These kind of people are the worst.

All of us as a community - Upwork freelancers and clients - should be united in our resolve to not put up with this kind of behavior.

re: "and really feel like this guy is after multiple versions of this logo."

That's what it sounds like to me.

re: "I also feel like he's trying to bully me in to doing free work."

I agree completely.

re: "explained that the contract was closed (to which he replied THIS IS THE CONTRACT!)"

These aren't simply bad clients. These are bad people.

Upwork is not a magic wishing box that lets people throw in a few coins and thus obtain a willing slave for live, or an indentured servant.

I especially "love" it when clients state something is "the contract", while directly violating the Upwork ToS or the terms of their contract.

Thanks for the replies Tiffany and Preston!

So just out of curiousity I looked up the company for his logo and noticed his social media pages already have the logo I designed earlier uploaded on them. That pretty much confirms my suspicion that he was trying to get multiple logos for free. I took screenshots of them as well and added them to the folder with the other screenshots just in case this heads to a dispute or arbitration down the road. Do you think it would be a good or bad idea to block this client? I certainly would never want to work with this guy again..

re: "Do you think it would be a good or bad idea to block this client? I certainly would never want to work with this guy again"

The contract has already been closed.

Feedback has already been left.

Payment has already been finalized.

What do you have to gain by continuing to communicate with this client?

Blocking him sounds like a good idea.

Great point Preston! Done! Hopefully this guy doesn't stick around long on Upwork.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths