🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking for SSN for 1099
Page options
0301062e
Community Member

Client asking for SSN for 1099

I have a client who is asking for my mailing address and SSN for the 1099 for 2020. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't anything tax related processed through Upwork and not directly through the client? How do I politely tell them that I don't need to provide this information? 

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

The client may be ignorant of the fact that she does not need your social security number.

Those matters are handled through Upwork.

I would tell the client:

"When clients hire on Upwork, the transactions are business-to-business transactions and can be classified for tax purposes as regular purchases. Social security numbers are not needed. But if you need anything at all for your purposes, my information is on file with Upwork and you may contact them directly to get everything you need."

lysis10
Community Member

Jessica S wrote:

I have a client who is asking for my mailing address and SSN for the 1099 for 2020. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't anything tax related processed through Upwork and not directly through the client? How do I politely tell them that I don't need to provide this information? 

Thanks!

Yeah, you don't need to give them any info. Tell them that Upwork sends you a 1099, so you don't need to get one from them.

Hey, guys, Upwork only sends a 1099 if  you make more than $20k in a year.  Under that amount, the client is supposed to provide you with a 1099 although I've only had one do so in the last 8 years.

So yeah, your client is trying to follow the law.  Go figure.  Send them the information. If they are being that careful, you're probably safe.

None of my clients have sent me 1099-NECs. I somehow thought I was supposed to create them.

Is this something they are required to provide? Thanks.

Mary W wrote:

Hey, guys, Upwork only sends a 1099 if  you make more than $20k in a year.  Under that amount, the client is supposed to provide you with a 1099 although I've only had one do so in the last 8 years.

So yeah, your client is trying to follow the law.  Go figure.  Send them the information. If they are being that careful, you're probably safe.

I just noticed this comment, Mary. I have only ever had one Upwork client want to send me one, and I told them it wasn't necessary. I've read that payments through credit card processing do not get 1099s eithers - like if you paid them through Venmo or Paypal from a Credit Card. Regardless, I report all my income, and since I incorporated I no longer get a 1099 anyhow. 

jennifervh
Community Member

I would point your client to the following link (partial screenshot shows content) and explain that no 1099 is necessary. I did this with one client, who hoped it was true but wanted to cross his t's and dot his i's. He checked with his accountant and dropped the request for my info.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063958-Report-Income-from-Upwork

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members