cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client asking for Skype and Phone number, proceeds to propose sharing our Upwork account.

Highlighted
Daniel H Member Since: Feb 1, 2019
1 of 4

Hi, I am relatively new here and luckily managed to get my first contracts going. I'm liking it so far and I try to actively send out proposals. 

This one proposal to a simple video editing job got me in contact with the client. They sent me a message asking me for my "$.k.y.p.e." account in order to discuss business details. This immediately triggered an alarm in me and I decided to make it clear I will only work through UpWork contracts. They then asked me to communicate through WhatsApp and so we did. 

I again stated I will only work through UpWork and in the meantime they declined my proposal and the job was deleted. Just now they contacted me through WhatsApp and asked me the following:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I declined and stated I was available to do the editing job, nothing else. They thanked me for my time and contact ended there.

Was this a scammer? Is this a known scam? 

Should I report this user? (they made their account just yesterday)

Thanks!

Community Guru
Vivek K Member Since: May 28, 2016
2 of 4

Ofcourse a scam.What else can it be? The fraud would use your account to do work  for Clients who would assume , in good faith, they are working with you.

Community Guru
Vivek K Member Since: May 28, 2016
3 of 4

Block them on whatever service you are communicating and report them.

Sharing email/ Phone//skype etc is not a violation in itself. You cannot share these in profile/ Proposals but you can share them in upwork chatroom.This is upto you.

Contract should be made only on upwork. 

And ofcourse if you have registered as a freelancer, it is expected that the person providing the service is you and not someone else (through whatever method). That is Fraud and ofcourse a violation of ToS

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
BEST ANSWER
4 of 4

Hi Daniel,

Just to confirm that the job post you are referring to was already removed and client's account addressed for violating Upwork ToS. Thank you.

Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS