cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Client asking for Skype and Phone number, proceeds to propose sharing our Upwork account.

Daniel H Member Since: Feb 1, 2019
1 of 4

Hi, I am relatively new here and luckily managed to get my first contracts going. I'm liking it so far and I try to actively send out proposals. 

This one proposal to a simple video editing job got me in contact with the client. They sent me a message asking me for my "$.k.y.p.e." account in order to discuss business details. This immediately triggered an alarm in me and I decided to make it clear I will only work through UpWork contracts. They then asked me to communicate through WhatsApp and so we did. 

I again stated I will only work through UpWork and in the meantime they declined my proposal and the job was deleted. Just now they contacted me through WhatsApp and asked me the following:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I declined and stated I was available to do the editing job, nothing else. They thanked me for my time and contact ended there.

Was this a scammer? Is this a known scam? 

Should I report this user? (they made their account just yesterday)

Thanks!

Community Guru
Vivek K Member Since: May 28, 2016
2 of 4

Ofcourse a scam.What else can it be? The fraud would use your account to do work  for Clients who would assume , in good faith, they are working with you.

Community Guru
Vivek K Member Since: May 28, 2016
3 of 4

Block them on whatever service you are communicating and report them.

Sharing email/ Phone//skype etc is not a violation in itself. You cannot share these in profile/ Proposals but you can share them in upwork chatroom.This is upto you.

Contract should be made only on upwork. 

And ofcourse if you have registered as a freelancer, it is expected that the person providing the service is you and not someone else (through whatever method). That is Fraud and ofcourse a violation of ToS

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
BEST ANSWER
4 of 4

Hi Daniel,

Just to confirm that the job post you are referring to was already removed and client's account addressed for violating Upwork ToS. Thank you.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS