🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking for a Refund
Page options
leonardobrz
Community Member

Client asking for a Refund

Hello,

I have finally received my first refund request. It was a small job. Initially, the client requested the translation of 14 titles (about 150 words). When the job arrived, it was way larger, 53 titles and 700 words. He told me he would compensate me with a bonus. I delivered the job, and the money was cleared. He gave me a 5 dollars bonus. I couldn't believe it, but I didn't want to argue for the small amount of money involved. A few days later, he comes back with another job, and we disagreed on the amount. He closed the contract, all fine. A couple of days later, he hired another freelancer and came back with a minor typo asking for a full refund. 

The money is already available for me to withdraw, and I would like to know what I should do. I mean, it is not for the money, but I feel I am being ripped off, disrespected.

What are the consequences of not giving a refund? Is there a way for Upwork to evaluate the case? Will this affect my stats?

thank you,

L

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Was that the $15 job?

Leonardo F wrote:

What are the consequences of not giving a refund? Will this affect my stats?

Nothing, and no, it won't affect your stats. At this stage it's just a request for a refund. 

Leonardo F wrote:

Is there a way for Upwork to evaluate the case?

No. Absolutely not. 

As long as the client doesn't file a dispute, which would be ridiculous for a small job, nothing happens at all.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
JoanneP

Hi Leonardo,

I'm sorry to hear about how the contract ended. If you do not want to issue a refund, then you may let the client know and politely explain why you are not refunding the amount requested. Refunding will not directly affect your JSS, but if the client has left you negative feedback, that can affect your score. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

The public feedback was OK; I guess he can't take it back. Will he be able to ask for Upwork to mediateupon the matter of the refund?

Hi Leonardo,

Could you please share the contract ID of the job you're referring to so I can check?

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Joanne,

Here you go, 27254337.

Thanks,

Leonardo

Hello Leonardo,

Thank you for sharing the contract details.

Since the contract is already ended, Freelancers can decide if they would accept or reject any refund request from the Client on the ended contract. If the refund request is declined by a Freelancer, Clients have the ability to file a dispute if the last payment is within 30 days. Our mediation process will be initiated to resolve the dispute raised by the Client. You may review or update the request by logging into your Upwork account and going to the Dispute Center. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance. 

Thank you.

Pradeep.

Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Pradeep H wrote:

If the refund request is declined by a Freelancer, Clients have the ability to file a dispute if the last payment is within 30 days. Our mediation process will be initiated to resolve the dispute raised by the Client.

That applies to cases where clients file a dispute after payment was made and the contract closed.

In this case, no payment was made, and the client can't dispute anything. The only person who can dispute anything here is the freelancer, by rejecting the request to return the escrow funds. This then creates a dispute which the client can either accept or reject.

Also, when Upwork close contracts this way, it states that the client requested the return of the escrow funds, which is actually untrue. The request is triggered by the system when the contract times out and the client has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

890b9475
Community Member

Please I asked the company I work for to request for a refund cos I lost my other gmail which is **Edited for Community Guidelines** I used in getting the contract so they can pay me on the new account which is**Edited for Community Guidelines** please can you on my behalf refund so I can get my money asap without delay ... 

will appreciate your fast response 

Hi Tosin,

Thank you for reaching out. Please know that having multiple accounts is against ToS. I can see that you opened a support ticket regarding this issue. Please allow our team 24-48 hours to review your request and reach out to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ AJ
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Was that the $15 job?

Leonardo F wrote:

What are the consequences of not giving a refund? Will this affect my stats?

Nothing, and no, it won't affect your stats. At this stage it's just a request for a refund. 

Leonardo F wrote:

Is there a way for Upwork to evaluate the case?

No. Absolutely not. 

As long as the client doesn't file a dispute, which would be ridiculous for a small job, nothing happens at all.

Thank you!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members