🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking for a perfect star rating
Page options
roselle_dago-oc
Community Member

Client asking for a perfect star rating

Hello everyone!

I had this client who is always arguing and chatting with me because he wanted a 5-star rating. I gave him a 3-star rating because he doesn't deserve it. He's been unresponsive after our 3hrs trial and then disappeared for a long time and then just came back and ended the contract and asking for a perfect star rating. I don't like this kind of client's behavior. Can I report this one to Upwork? Is it acceptable?

Thanks,

Roselle

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Deborah P wrote:

An unhappy relationship can be such even without an "Upwork dispute".

There is no "relationship" - There is a bully trying to threaten and blackmail a frightened freelancer long after the "relationship" has ended.

It's too late for the client to dispute. 

The best way forward is not to play the client's game anymore, block them, report them (which she's done) and let Upwork deal with it.

The client's threats are baseless. The client can't change their feedback and the client can't dispute.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Roselle Rose,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened. I sent your report to our team for investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

Let us know if you need further help with anything.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thanks Aleksandar!
petra_r
Community Member

Roselle Rose D wrote:

I had this client who is always arguing and chatting with me 

Why don't you simply block the client and be done with it? Why engage?

I don't know what to do, actually. He's now angry and just accusing me of anything else. He said my work wasn't the best and he's now requesting a refund. He said his boss will contact Upwork to rectify his five-star rating to me and he will post me on Google if I will not grant his request today! What should I do? 😞 

Roselle Rose D wrote:

What should I do? 😞 

Block the client. Stop engaging.

Will do, thanks Petra!
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Roselle Rose D wrote:

Hello everyone!

I had this client who is always arguing and chatting with me because he wanted a 5-star rating. I gave him a 3-star rating because he doesn't deserve it. He's been unresponsive after our 3hrs trial and then disappeared for a long time and then just came back and ended the contract and asking for a perfect star rating. I don't like this kind of client's behavior. Can I report this one to Upwork? Is it acceptable?

Thanks,

Roselle

There is nothing to report here, you expressed your opinion in your feedback, as you should. Clearly the client is not happy about it, but that was to be expected. 

deborah-ponzio
Community Member

Clients come and go anytime. Company dynamics can lead to projects cancellation all the time. A recent client of mine, a very nice person, went missing for about 2 months, then came back apologising as he had a family issue. Another client that I have works day and night across many markets and currently does not have time to share instructions for me to really begin working for him. But he is a nice and kind person. He will do it when he can.

We live in challenging times for everyone, including companies. Our key client contacts can suddenly lose their jobs, face a change in position, or simply have their project budget wiped out.

I see no point in blaming them, even less via public feedback. The reality is that we do not know what actually happens behind the scenes of a company and shouldn't therefore become judgmental.

Build a larger portfolio of clients and you will not take notice of someone's disappearance.

I am sorry if this has lead to a dispute for you. Is it possible that your poor feedback was the emotional result of disappointment as you really cared about the project and were keen and ready to add value? If so, why not explaining this to your client in kind words when you cool down? Are there are chances that he might understand and you may reach an amicable solution?

Deborah P wrote:

I am sorry if this has lead to a dispute for you.

There is no dispute. What in the world are you talking about? Did you even read the post?

Isn't this a dispute? Or is it an amicable exchange in your view?

Quote - "I don't know what to do, actually. He's now angry and just accusing me of anything else. He said my work wasn't the best and he's now requesting a refund. He said his boss will contact Upwork to rectify his five-star rating to me and he will post me on Google if I will not grant his request today!" - end of quote

Deborah P wrote:

Isn't this a dispute?

Unless there is an Upwork dispute, there is no dispute. There is no Upwork dispute.

The end.

The contract is closed. Everything is ended and closed. 

Game over.

**Edited for community guidelines**

I see you apply vocabulary restrictions, but I don't. An unhappy relationship can be such even without an "Upwork dispute".

Deborah P wrote:

An unhappy relationship can be such even without an "Upwork dispute".

There is no "relationship" - There is a bully trying to threaten and blackmail a frightened freelancer long after the "relationship" has ended.

It's too late for the client to dispute. 

The best way forward is not to play the client's game anymore, block them, report them (which she's done) and let Upwork deal with it.

The client's threats are baseless. The client can't change their feedback and the client can't dispute.

You seem to forget that it all began with a freelancer blaming the client via her public feedback. This is what my initial message is about. Please take your time, read more carefully, thank you. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members