🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking for a refund 20 days later
Page options
saulosrv
Community Member

Client asking for a refund 20 days later

Hi, I've successfully completed a fixed price contract, client was satisfied and paid me. 20 days later he comes back claiming that the templates I created for him doesn't work and, therefore he wants full refund.

The money is already in my bank account.

My question is: if I refuse to refund him and he wants to go for arbitration, but I also refuse to pay the $291, what would happen? What are my options here?

I could only find the answer for money that is still in escrow, not for money that has already been withdrawn like my case.

Thanks for your help
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lysis10
Community Member

They put your account in the negative if you don’t have the funds to cover the refund. So any money you make goes to the negative balance until you pay it off.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
lysis10
Community Member

Saulo Roberto d wrote:
Hi, I've successfully completed a fixed price contract, client was satisfied and paid me. 20 days later he comes back claiming that the templates I created for him doesn't work and, therefore he wants full refund.

The money is already in my bank account.

My question is: if I refuse to refund him and he wants to go for arbitration, but I also refuse to pay the $291, what would happen? What are my options here?

I could only find the answer for money that is still in escrow, not for money that has already been withdrawn like my case.

Thanks for your help

If you refuse, you forfeit and he wins. You're kinda stuck there. But he might not pay either and then you win or you come to an agreement and take a payout.

saulosrv
Community Member

But how would upwork get the money from me then? Since the funds are long gone from their account? 

lysis10
Community Member

They put your account in the negative if you don’t have the funds to cover the refund. So any money you make goes to the negative balance until you pay it off.
avirockx007
Community Member

Hi Saulo,

You kinda stuck in a bad position. I'll suggest that you just negotiate with your client & tell him how it's not possible or whatever. It's like more common nowadays that clients get frustrated with the work done & ask for a refund. So, I suggest trying to deal with it professionally may give you a better result. I hope it works. 🙂

I'm already trying it, but now we're just back and forth... I'm afraid he might want to go to arbitration but it's not worth it for the value of it. I just want to know what measures Upwork can take against me or even the client himself so I can put on scale all my options and see what's the least worse option 

JoanneP

Hi Saulo Roberto,

I checked your account, and I can see that our team is already assisting you directly on this ticket number: 30120324. One of our agents will update your ticket to assist you further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members