Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: Client asking for a refund

mashal_m
Active Member
Mashal M Member Since: Jun 30, 2021
1 of 13

Dear Community, I am facing a dilemma and would appreciate help urgently.

 

I am working on Upwork for about 1 year now and recently got my Top rated badge. I have had amazing clients and hence never faced the problem of a refund.


This new client asked for a blog article as a test project and has funded the project with $77. When I submitted the article for payment, he said it is well written but the tone is not what he is looking for so he needs his money refunded. I told him politely that I will perform a revision, but he is insisting on a refund. The contract is still active. I do not mind giving a refund as I prefer client satisfaction above money. 

Please help me out with the procedure that I should follow so that the client gets his money refunded and the job doesn't affect my JSS score. Should I end the contract or should the client end the contract? Please help. Thanks

I

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 13

Mashal:
I feel like you are asking about procedure, rather than asking if you should give a refund or not.

 

I will offer my opinion that it is very inappropriate for this client to ask you for a refund.


I will point out that you are NOT required to give this client a refund. But offering a refund might be the right thing for YOU to do, even if it wasn't right for the client to ask.

 

If you cooporate with the client and quickly refund the money, the I see no reason why the client would leave negative feedback. And if the client doesn't leave negative feedback, then this project will not have any negative impact on your JSS.

 

Refunding the money is easy.

Navigate to the contract listing:

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

 

Click on the contract listing.

Click on the "Three Dots" icon.

Click on the option to "End Contract."

 

If YOU (the freelancer) end the contract, then all money in escrow will be refunded to the client automatically. He will receive it in his funding account within five business days.

 

After you end the contract yourself, you can immediately send him a note:

"Patrick, I closed the contract and issued a full refund to you. You will receive the money back on your credit card account within 5 business days. You do not need to do anything else in order to get the refund."

View solution in original post

mashal_m
Active Member
Mashal M Member Since: Jun 30, 2021
3 of 13

Dear Preston,

 

Thank you so much for the kind support. 

 

Yes, true I always try my best to choose the most ethical solution to any problem. 


I have ended the contract and have notified the client. The client will get refunded as you had suggested. 

 

I wanted to ask if the client will have the option to give public and private feedback for this particular project and will it affect my JSS?

 

Thanks a lot for your kind help. Thanks

 

 

 

344ba618
Active Member
Mark S Member Since: Jun 5, 2021
4 of 13

hi, i was hired by a client from india to upload 12apps to my console play account which i did, but after upload his apps before approving the payements i requested to be paid, he asked me to transfer the 12apps to his account and we agreed and he said after just done transfering the apps i will approve the milestone, but after  transfering the apps again he said wait for 2 to 4 hours once apps get transfered i will pay you i did as he said i send him a message about the apps are successfully transfered thats how he approved the milestone....now the contract ended and just yesterday he stated requesting for the review to give him but i was just quite until today i gave him good review nomatter all he did  but all i recieved from his review about my work was poor plus hate speech againest me so that i shouldnt get clients. now just after that he inboxed me again about the review and i asked him whats remaining? we have already done with  work...thats how he started sending hate text and now he got his apps transfer he said let me punish you i will request for a refund.. i have full evidence about the clients and all our conversations. please help hewant to get a refund after doing his work.
**Edited for Community Guidelines**

g_vasilevski
Moderator
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
5 of 13

Hi Mark,

 

I'm sorry to hear about the bad experience you've had. Our team will investigate your client further and will take proper actions.


Regarding the refund, I would like to clarify that you don't need to take any action on the requests unless you would like to issue a refund to your client. To learn more about how to protect yourself, check out our resources Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
6 of 13

Mark S wrote:

hi, i was hired by a client from india to upload 12apps to my console play account which i did, but after upload his apps before approving the payements i requested to be paid, he asked me to transfer the 12apps to his account and we agreed and he said after just done transfering the apps i will approve the milestone, but after  transfering the apps again he said wait for 2 to 4 hours once apps get transfered i will pay you i did as he said i send him a message about the apps are successfully transfered thats how he approved the milestone....now the contract ended and just yesterday he stated requesting for the review to give him but i was just quite until today i gave him good review nomatter all he did  but all i recieved from his review about my work was poor plus hate speech againest me so that i shouldnt get clients. now just after that he inboxed me again about the review and i asked him whats remaining? we have already done with  work...thats how he started sending hate text and now he got his apps transfer he said let me punish you i will request for a refund.. i have full evidence about the clients and all our conversations. please help hewant to get a refund after doing his work.
**Edited for Community Guidelines**


Did he write somewhere in his messages that he will give you the poor feedback unless you refund him?

 

I am trying to get the job itself. He developed an app and wants you to publish it? Why? Sorry, I work in a different field and it feels like I am missing something.

And is it just coincidence that you work for another client from the same location? Was one of these contacts an invite?

 

You should make up your mind. Is your time worth $18, then make sure the fixed rate jobs reflect that as well. Right now, your work history says: I would work for free but I have to charge at least $5 to create the illusion I am making money with freelancing.

344ba618
Active Member
Mark S Member Since: Jun 5, 2021
7 of 13

no it was a job post and i have to apply, himself he developed his apps and he was looking for someone to upload on google play tore which i did but at last alot of thing come up from him. what has suprised is that today after work done with him, he started messaging me to give feedback review. after giving him a very good one and he gave back a bad review to me over all jis good work i did for him. and now he said i will punish you am going to request a refund. i have full evidence

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 13

Mashal, I would not let the client get away with that sort of behaviour... 

 

You are top rated and unless you have used it in the last 10 contracts and 3 monts, you can zap a poor outcome (poor feedback, private and optionally public) from your profile from time to time by using your top rated perk.

 

We should not work for free, or train clients to pull this stunt every time they fancy free work.

 

Mashal M wrote:

The client will get refunded as you had suggested. 


That is so unfortunate and unneccessary.  It is such a crying shame that you were advised to refund a client for work you did honestly. And so terribly wrong. Why not tell you to send the client a gold watch along with a full refund?

 

Not only does it hurt you because you worked for free, it hurts all other freelancers because it teaches clients how they can get work without paying.

 


Mashal M wrote:

I have ended the contract and have notified the client. The client will get refunded as you had suggested. 

 

I wanted to ask if the client will have the option to give public and private feedback for this particular project and will it affect my JSS?


The client can still leave private feedback which is what affects your JSS.

It is so sad that freelancers like you are wrongly advised to throw away their work for free needlessly and clients are taught how to get free work. It's actually an absolute disgrace.

 

There was no need for you to refund. None at all. You followed very poor, if not outright malicious advice.

mashal_m
Active Member
Mashal M Member Since: Jun 30, 2021
9 of 13

Dear Petra,

 

Thank you so much for your kind support and encouragement. 

 

Yes, very true this kind of behaviour is outrageous and made me realise I should call them out. I have deleted the file of Google docs for that particular work so the client has no access to it now and can not use it. The client has lost me as a writer so it is their loss in the long run Smiley Happy

 

Yes, I have not used the remove feedback option but I am saving it for the rainy days, as I would want to use it for a bigger contract if any such situation arises. 

 

This is my first post here and I am so glad that we have a supportive community that is here to help each other. Thanks again. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 13

Mashal M wrote:

I have deleted the file of Google docs for that particular work so the client has no access to it now and can not use it.


Chances are they've long downloaded it...

 

Either way, even if they totally hated it and have no intention of using it, ultimately they were taught how to get free work.

 

We don't want to teach bad clients how to scr*w freelancers over by throwing refunds at them for no rational reason at all.

 

Telling freelancers who did their work to refund in full needlessly is nothing short of malicious sabotage.  It is beyond me why someone would want a fellow freelancer to be working for free for absolutely no reason whatsoever at all.

 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS