🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking for an IP adress.
Page options
pierreviau
Community Member

Client asking for an IP adress.

Hello,

I know a similar question has been asked about this before but I would simply like some comfirmation from anyone who might have experience with this. I was proposed to translate a website; and the process is apparently made through WordPress. The person I'm in contact with indicated that I had to provide an IPv4 adress in ordrer to access it. The company they're representing seems to have existed for a while but doesn't seem to have a lot of activity on UpWork so I found it a little suspicious.

I know not much harm can be done simply with an IP adress but I just wanted to know if this is common practice, especially recently, and if there are any risks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

It is normal for clients to ask freelancers for their IP address. That is how they whitelist access to secure servers. There is little else that a client could do with your IP address. Especially if you use dynamically allocated IP addresses.

If you do a lot of this kind of work you will probably want to pay extra to get a static IP address.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AndreaG

Hi Pierre, other freelancers working in the same field may share their experience with similar requests and whether it's common. It's possible that the client allows or blocks access to their system based on IP addresses and that's why they need this information from you. Feel free to communicate with the client directly if you have any concerns.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi Andrea, ok, thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it!

Pierre V.

lysis10
Community Member

Pierre V wrote:

Hello,

I know a similar question has been asked about this before but I would simply like some comfirmation from anyone who might have experience with this. I was proposed to translate a website; and the process is apparently made through WordPress. The person I'm in contact with indicated that I had to provide an IPv4 adress in ordrer to access it. The company they're representing seems to have existed for a while but doesn't seem to have a lot of activity on UpWork so I found it a little suspicious.

I know not much harm can be done simply with an IP adress but I just wanted to know if this is common practice, especially recently, and if there are any risks.

It's probably to whitelist access to the WP admin. What a pain though since you probably have a dynamic IP.

prestonhunter
Community Member

It is normal for clients to ask freelancers for their IP address. That is how they whitelist access to secure servers. There is little else that a client could do with your IP address. Especially if you use dynamically allocated IP addresses.

If you do a lot of this kind of work you will probably want to pay extra to get a static IP address.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members