cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client asking for contact information in the proposal.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mahesh A Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
1 of 4

Hi,

I have a question  

I just saw a job post were a client is asking for contact information before the interview, should I give or not?

Thanks

Highlighted
Community Guru
Craig A Member Since: Jan 18, 2016
2 of 4

No, you shouldn't. It's highly likely to be a scammer. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 4

Not necessarily. It depends what the job is and what sort of contact information the client is looking for. However, I will only give an email address when I get to interview stage, and I don't accept Skype interviews, unless I know a client really well. But there are many well-established, top-rated freelancers who would very much disagree with me on that.

I have had two bad experiences with Skype 'clients' and the worst was that I cannot permanently remove these people from my contact list. They ae still only 'hidden' not gone.

With Upwork's mercurial message system - back-up contact information is probably a good thing, even in the early stages.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 4

Hi Mahesh,

Thanks for checking in. It's your decision whether to include your contact information in the proposal or not. The request is not a violation of Upwork ToS, but make sure to report the client directly to Support if they request your personal information (copy of your ID, passport, bank account details and similar) or offer to pay outside Upwork.

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread

View solution in original post

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS