🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking for crowdchannel subscription b...
Page options
panchdev
Community Member

Client asking for crowdchannel subscription before actual hiring

Hello,

I have been asked to purchase a subscription to a crowdchannel.online before actual hiring. Has anyone experienced the same?

My gut feeling says it could be a scam. However, I am not sure though.

Please share your experience. 

Thanks,

Panchdev

18 REPLIES 18
NikolaS

Hi Panchdev,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would like to let you know that I shared your report with the appropriate team and the job you are referring to is now removed. In general, a real client will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information. I also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

You may want to check this page to help you stay safe on Upwork. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
nouman_faheem
Community Member

This happened to me as well

The Client asked me to buy subscription using binance account he said he'll reimburse it. He offered me the job and asked if I bought it or not. I told I'll work on it from tommorow. Hearing that he got agressive and told me to cancel it. This job is 100% scam and I don't want to cancel it as it will make my cancelation rate high kindly look into it

Hi Nouman,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and it looks like our team already took action against the client you are referring to. I also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform.

Additionally, feel free to check this page for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
kacso
Community Member

Hi,

I have a similar case with the same client. I was actually hired and he is opening several new contracts with higher rates each time. Before purchasing anything, he is sending me a bouns through Upwork in the amount of the subscription. Am I safe to continue here? Is it possible that bonus will not be on my account? Is it possible that I will not be able to bill my hours on the active contract? I would like to verify that before continuing with opening new contracts with him.

Danijel

Danijel S wrote:

Hi,

I have a similar case with the same client. I was actually hired and he is opening several new contracts with higher rates each time. Before purchasing anything, he is sending me a bouns through Upwork in the amount of the subscription. Am I safe to continue here? Is it possible that bonus will not be on my account? Is it possible that I will not be able to bill my hours on the active contract? I would like to verify that before continuing with opening new contracts with him.

Danijel

No, you're not safe to continue - you're being scammed and won't get paid. The bonus will never go through. 

You should only look for real projects that involve actual work that's related to your skillset. Easy-sounding, high-paid, no-brain jobs are all scams, and you're going to end up losing your money if you continue dealing with people like that. (You could lose your Upwork account too, if they have reason to suspect that you're a participant in these scams instead of a victim, and opening multiple projects with the same scamming client does look that way.)

Thank you for response. Had the same impression, but I'm confused, how is it possible that we receive payment to our accout (still pending though), but we are still not sure that we will actually be paid? Does it mean that on hourly jobs, it is possible we are not paid for hours worked?

e51c9022
Community Member

Hello, I beleive I am facing same scenario as well. Did you end up getting paid eventually specially the bonus part that you have mentioned?

kacso
Community Member

For now no and I'm in contact with support to see how to resolve it. Even though it is not promising

They normally use stolen credit cards and will get caught as soon as they're reported. And no, there's no payment protection if you take part in an obvious scam like "I'll pay you money if you buy me something that I could just as easily buy for myself." Look for legitimate jobs instead of thinking that there's easy money to be made here - there isn't.

Hey Christine, thank you for your responses. Before, I would probably say the same as you did, but must say that this is not so obvious. It was not just like "I'll pay you money if you buy me something that I could just as easily buy for myself.".

First offer I received was with hourly rate the same as it is my default. Client mentioned several times that he wants to work only through Upwork. He sent bonus to comensate expanse immedatielly as the offer was accepted. After finishing first subscription (which I would say it is possible for QA to test subscrition. Even though, yes, process is wierd) he sent first tasks on what to test. Web is an IPTV site and TV programs and movies are working properly. Then he started to ask around about additional jobs (as for first contract limit was only 3 hours) with diferrent subscription types. He sent several bonuses and offers this time with really high rates and subscriptions started to grow really high. When I told him to wait, he started to persue as why I'm not doing a job for which he already paid me.
In addition to that, I must say that, unfortunatelly, Upwork support wasn't really helpful as up to today, I didn't receive any guidelines on how to deal with the client. Also, this client is still posting jobs on Upwork (QA category is now fluded with his jobs), payment method is still marked as verified and he is still able to send new offers.

e51c9022
Community Member

I am so worried as I have clearly lost the money. I am concerned as to who do I reach out to get the refund. Any pointerrs here would be greatly appreciated,

kacso
Community Member

I would suggest opening zendesk ticket. For that, go to help & support -> start chat with chatbot -> say you want to report client -> choose of the options you get -> fill out the report form and explain your situation.

Unfortunately, I don't see other ways to contact someone from Upwork team 

It can also be an indicator that if it was to be paid, they might be laundering money to hid its origin (which is illegal in most countries) ... or to boost sales on another platform for some other reason such as to increase authenticity.

Its just a new version of the old Western Union money scam, where the money you think you have gets cancelled & you are left having outlaid money (to them with no means to recover).

cf637197
Community Member

I had the same experience today for a job posted yesterday.

"We are looking for a Quality Assurance (QA) engineers to execute exploratory manual tests to ensure product quality for an website. QA engineer responsibilities tests, debugging and defining corrective actions. You will also review system requirements and track quality assurance metrics The web is extremely simple and has very few buttons and options. We ideally want these testers to stay on this project with us and keep the QA as long term"

I accepted the invite and while communicating with the job poster I realised the job has many red flags. First requirement is to purchase the 6-month subscription on their site (**Edited for Community Guidelines**) but requesting it trough the live-chat support and telling the support you want to pay with binance, despite the fact that there is a form for buying the subscription on the site. I don't want to end contract from my side as I am afraid it will affect my rating. (I am not very active on this platform for now so I am relatively new to this). 

Hi Marija,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Please keep in mind that any financial transactions (including cryptocurrency) outside Upwork are not allowed. This is against ToS and could put your account at risk of being suspended.

I shared your report with the relevant team so they can check on this and they will reach out to you soon to gather more information.

In the meantime, we highly suggest reviewing our ToS, reading these tips on how to avoid questionable jobs, and this post from our Community member, Wes, about top red flags for scams for you to keep yourself safe in the marketplace. Should you also encounter any suspicious user activity again in the future, please send us a flag so the dedicated team can review it and take action as soon as possible.

~ AJ
Upwork
6f974476
Community Member

This happened to me as well

The Client asked me to buy subscription using binance account he said he'll reimburse it. He offered me the job and asked if I bought it or not.This job is 100% scam and I don't want to cancel it as it will make my cancelation rate high kindly look into it. The contract is started What should I do

fc5d7f9c
Community Member

Hi,

Something similar happened to me recently. The customer asked me to spend $36 on a 6-month subscription. When I asked the client to share some document, they me a file with some inadequately written test cases. 

b252f823
Community Member

Got also my 2nd same offer at this moment, I think the scam here is they know that Upwork will return the bonus(paid thru Upwork) we got from them and the their profit will be the subscription fee you paid them. They will get $36 from every person they sent an offer.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members