🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking for e-mail address for taking t...
Page options
karia432
Community Member

Client asking for e-mail address for taking test before starting contract

Hi,

I have applied for a job and received the message from the client. The client has selected me for interview purpose and asked to share my e-mail address through which he can take some sample test to know my skills. And if he is satisfied then he will start the contract.

Can I share my e-mail id with him as contract is not yet started ? Whether it is against upwork policy ?

Thanks

Dhaval K.

9 REPLIES 9
jaycrutcher
Community Member

The only "samples" you provide should come in the form of previous work examples, or paid tests on Upwork. It's a scam to get free work from you.

Thanks for your great suggestion.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Can I share my e-mail id with him as contract is not yet started? Whether it is against Upwork policy?"

Dhaval:
Upwork's policy is that freelances must communicate only through the Upwork platform until a client has officially hired you.

So, generally speaking, it is AGAINST Upwork policy for you to share your email address with a client UNTIL you have been hired. Then it will be okay. There are some exceptions, such as when it is necessary to provide an email address to a client so that the client can provide you with a file that can't be shared simpy through the Upwork Messages tool.

But a client does NOT need your email address in order to look at the work samples in your portfolio. And Jarrad is correct: This particular freelancer appears to simply be a scammer who wants to trick you into working for free.

My recommendation is to tell this client that Upwork does not allow you to share your email address until he hires you. Tell him that he may hire you now - and you will provide an email address to him - and that he has permission to look at ALL of the pieces in your portfolio.

Whether he hires you or not, do not provide him with free custom samples. If he is a real client, he will hire you and pay you to create custom samples, or he will hire you and pay you to test your skills. If he doesn't hire you, then you know he is just a scammer who wants to trick you. If he is unwillling to hire you and pay you, it means that he has no intention of every paying you, no matter how good you are when you do the sample tests.

Thanks you

Jarrad and Preston are right. It looks like a client who is trying to get stuff done for free. The free test is the project they want to get done. Don't do it.

However, it could be the case that the client is new. In that case, maybe just point them to the ToS page and remind them about the rules politely.

If it is a seasoned Upwork client and you see some issues in the hiring history, the client is doing all this on purpose. It's part of the plan. Avoid. Consider also blocking so you won't cross paths in the future either.
8d51d564
Community Member

yes

You cannot communicate in any way outside of Upwork before a contract is in place.

virtualbrix
Community Member

I would avoid that. This is not a college entrance exam. The client can ask questions in the Upwork chat.

mandypeacock
Community Member

Yeh...this smells fishy to me. I know there are SO many scams around, and I've heard of a few that start this way. Your portfolio, reviews and profile should have more than enough for them to know if you are the one for the job or not. If not, this is not the place for them. I usually explain that "for everyone's privacy and safety" it is against Upwork's policy to converse off platform, but would be happy to answer any questions they have, or send any examples of work/demos they would like,  through the message centre. If they are unable to, then I am not the freelancer for them and I wish them all the best with their project. After all, that's the reason we use Upwork - to have that safe place to connect with potential clients.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members