🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking for email - urgent
Page options
b1d11c3b
Community Member

Client asking for email - urgent

Hi, a client has asked for the third time for an email address, even after I pointed out a relevant thread from here. I understand that the response has to be negative but my question is, this last time they have stated that they "have to do a quick tech run through" and that this can only be done via email. I don't know what that is supposed to mean but I gathered from one of the moderator messages here* that there is an exception to the rule on grounds of accessing "a system that contains information about the project". Is this such a case? 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Frequently-Asked-Questions-on-TOS-changes-regarding-in...

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Burak,

I always include something like the following text in my initial cover letters to prospective clients:

As you may know, during our pre-contract communication Upwork requires that we use Upwork’s version of Zoom to talk through the specifics of what you need and to discuss any questions you and I have for one another:

Link: On-platform Interviews – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

After a contract is in place we can then use any method of communication you prefer.

I have never had a client insist on breaking Upwork's rule in this respect, but that may reflect the type of clients I use or other factors.

If I did have a prospective client who insisted on ignoring this rule, I'd expect they'd also ignore common sense and other Upwork rules once the contract started, so working with them would be a lot less attractive to me.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
petra_r
Community Member

Burak S wrote:

that there is an exception to the rule on grounds of accessing "a system that contains information about the project". Is this such a case? 

No. The client wants to communicate via email. So it is not handing over an email address to access something.

b1d11c3b
Community Member

OK thanks.

If you've already told them twice that you can't give out your email address and they've asked a third time, that's when you flag their job as inappropriate and report them.

Thanks!

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Burak,

I always include something like the following text in my initial cover letters to prospective clients:

As you may know, during our pre-contract communication Upwork requires that we use Upwork’s version of Zoom to talk through the specifics of what you need and to discuss any questions you and I have for one another:

Link: On-platform Interviews – Upwork Customer Service & Support | Upwork Help

After a contract is in place we can then use any method of communication you prefer.

I have never had a client insist on breaking Upwork's rule in this respect, but that may reflect the type of clients I use or other factors.

If I did have a prospective client who insisted on ignoring this rule, I'd expect they'd also ignore common sense and other Upwork rules once the contract started, so working with them would be a lot less attractive to me.

excellent, thanks for sharing! I'll use a similar text. Could you send the address for that feature please?

alexandernovikov
Community Member

I'd think this guy is intending to blackmail you on this later, i.e. purposefully provokes you to break Upwork rules to later keep you on the hook and take advantage of you. Just flag and report, and move on.

Thanks, I think you are right. After direct requests were denied, they sent more messages, this time requesting to schedule a "tech test" to initiate some form of outside communication. It is actually a difficult situation for a newbie because the client looks legit. 

It is never easy to say no to a potential new business opportunity, Burak, but it can be the best thing to do.

Especially when working remotely. It's sometimes hard to see a potential client's true colors until it's too late.

Burak S wrote:

Thanks, I think you are right. After direct requests were denied, they sent more messages, this time requesting to schedule a "tech test" to initiate some form of outside communication. It is actually a difficult situation for a newbie because the client looks legit. 

No, it is quite easy. Just follow the ToS.

thanks for the advice. An exception has been stated - access to a system about the job - and some may find it difficult to have clarity about what this refers to and others may exploit it. I was just making an observation, otherwise the matter has been resolved, thanks for your input. 

Burak S wrote:

thanks for the advice. An exception has been stated - access to a system about the job - and some may find it difficult to have clarity about what this refers to and others may exploit it. I was just making an observation, otherwise the matter has been resolved, thanks for your input. 

This refers to software development is not the case in your field. The clients can share files etc. with you through Upwork. What kind of "tech test" could they have for you? Block the client and move on.

Hi,

Is it always safe to open the attachments clients sometimes place in their posts? the same question for a client sending a file such as pdf with an Upwork message. Does the system scan these files or is discretion necessary? Thank you.

Hi Burak,

We take great measures to keep our global marketplace safe, and we’re committed to doing our best to prevent or address suspicious activity. 

When being provided with a file you need to access, either in Messages or directly, we strongly recommend running it through Virus Total or a similar file scanning software before downloading. We also strongly advise against enabling macros. Macros are part of a document. When opening a document (doc, zip, xls, etc.) if a macro is present, you will be asked in a pop-up message whether you’d like to enable it. Macros can contain hidden malware, and if enabled it would allow a scammer access to your computer and compromise your personal information.

Please check these help articles to help you stay safe on Upwork:

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork
b1d11c3b
Community Member

Hi, thanks for your helpful reply.

One more question: what about the files in the jobs, the ones that clients sometimes put out there to give an idea about the task, etc. Can we assume these are safe or at least scanned by the system?  

re: "One more question: what about the files in the jobs, the ones that clients sometimes put out there to give an idea about the task, etc. Can we assume these are safe or at least scanned by the system?"

Upwork has installed fairly aggressive anti-malware filters in its file transfer processes. These block most anything that could cause you problems.

It is highly unlikely that you will download a PDF file or Word file or the like which will contain hidden malware that will cause problems for your computer.

Nevertheless: Nowhere does Upwork guarantee that you can't possibly get a file posted by a devious person which contains malware. Feel free to use a sandbox and/or your own malware scanning software if you're worried.

OK thanks.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members