cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client: *******asking for free job

B B Z GH Z Member Since: Oct 28, 2012
1 of 17
Client:***** asking for free job see job posted: ***** ou will be expected to created a 4000 word short story formatted for the kindle in eBook form, and you must also be willing to fully give up all rights to the work you submit to us. for 20$ it means 0.005$ per word ... and if this isnt slavery , then what is? Got invited and declined directly, but these keep showing up more often, *[Removed by Admin]
B B Z GH Z Member Since: Oct 28, 2012
2 of 17
sorry your offer is low , if you need slaves working cheap please stop , odesk is good ,but not for people to abuse it and look and use people doing slave salary works. I work only if pay is correct and you have no paid history on odesk.
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
3 of 17
I'm not going to comment on the rate cause I just have no idea what it's like to be a writer... but I'm very curious how long it would take an average oDesk writer to write 4000 word short stories? I understand it depends on subject matter etc.. but if it's a subject you enjoy or have a little experience with... how long(ish)?
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
4 of 17
I'm not a fiction writer, but in general for any time of writing, you improve the quality of your writing by giving yourself time to review and rewrite. A second or third draft is going to be better than a first draft. If you pay a cheap rate, you are going to get poor quality, not just because better writers charge more, but because it's not worth the writer's time to spend more than the bare minimum of time on the work.
Community Guru
5 of 17
How long for a first draft roughly? I too go over my own stuff several times before finally saying 'good enough'.. but only for important things
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
6 of 17
If written for teens, 4k word short story perhaps a week, if you are writing for adults, two weeks for a good story. I am sure there are people who write faster, but quick does not always translate to a good story.
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
7 of 17
That is additional work.
Community Guru
8 of 17
oh... that's a long time for $20 lol $.50/hr if full time
Ace Contributor
Aleah T Member Since: Mar 25, 2010
9 of 17
It's not just the number of hours, Tony. It's the story idea, too, that has to be paid. If it were a simple web article, as Marcia said, one can simply do research online or rewrite an existing one, and it would pass Copyscape. Fiction writing is a different ball game altogether and I will never charge hourly for it, even at my current rate.
Tracy M Member Since: Aug 28, 2013
10 of 17
I am not a fiction writer either, but 500 words, for example, would take me several hours. It's not just the writing, it is the re-writing, checking and then double-checking that takes the time!
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS