🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client asking for free work
Page options
sazzad0071
Community Member

Client asking for free work

Hello there, I need your help!!
On job posting there mentioned about "Training" But after accepting job my client asking for free work. What should I do right now. What should I do? I am afraid if this client ruin my career by putting poor feedback !!! How upwork consider such kind of matter??
Your advice will be highly appreciated.
Sincerely thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mohammad Sazzad H wrote:

Thanks for your advice, I refused to free work. He cancelled our contact. I flagged to that client. But now I am worried about my JSS, cancelled contact will hamper on my JSS which I am gonna be top rated on next update.

Well, now you can just hope that the "nothing paid" contract and the poor private feedback drops you less than 5% - with only 18 completed contracts in your 2 year window and less in your calculation window, the impact can be significant.

It is really unfortunate that you didn't communicate with the client to find a way forward.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client asking for free work"

That is a serious violation of Upwork ToS.

Clients are not allowed to ask for free work.

You have completed 28 jobs. Your JSS is 94%.

Having a zero-pay contract can be harmful to JSS. But the effect would be quite diluted because you have so many other jobs in hour history.

So one valid option for you is to simply CLOSE the contract and BLOCK this client and be done with it. If you close the contract without getting paid anything, it wil be impossible for the contract or any feedback to appear on your public profile page.

I strongly advise you to NOT work for free.
You should get paid for your work, nor not work.

re: "How upwork consider such kind of matter?"
Probably not. But maybe - if you report them and Upwork takes official action against the client and this contract to prevent it from being "counted."

I think you should choose between these options:
a) simply close the contract without getting paid anything, and then REPORT the client for asking for free work. You should be able to click on the "Flag as inappropriate" link button in the top right hand corner of the job posting screen and choose the "Client is asking for free work" option.

Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 8.16.36 AM.png

b) OR you can continue with this contract, as long as the client pays you for all of your work, all of your time, and treats you professionally and respectfully.

Thanks for your advice, I refused to free work. He cancelled our contact. I flagged to that client. But now I am worried about my JSS, cancelled contact will hamper on my JSS which I am gonna be top rated on next update.

Mohammad Sazzad H wrote:

Well, now you can just hope that the "nothing paid" contract and the poor private feedback drops you less than 5% - with only 18 completed contracts in your 2 year window and less in your calculation window, the impact can be significant.

It is really unfortunate that you didn't communicate with the client to find a way forward.

Well ! I have worked on several task after i ask for how will my rimuneration will be calculated? 
He replied me-""Its training" there is no paymend for these. The task was his relevent task.
I flagged that client , but unfortunately I haven't got any respond from upwork. I am doubt on his location also. On account his location is USA but on our conversation he disclose that- he is from Taiwan. 
he is repeating same job posting, $5 for 3 months working.
hope you will take care such kind of client .
Sincerely thanks

re: "He replied me-  'It's training' there is no paymend for these. The task was his relevent task."

Mohammad:
When you sensed that the client was wrong about this...

You were correct.

The client is not running a school. He is hiring freelancers on a freelance work platform. If he needs to "train" you, then he needs to pay you for your time for that training.

thanks for your rational explanation. After that conversation (attached screenshot) he cancelled our contact and requested for refund. I accept his refund request.
next freelancers will be sufferer as I see he is still repeating job post (on different title)
I attached screenshot.

**Edited for community guidelines**

Thanks for getting Community guidelines. Surely I will follow it. 

I appreciate your explanation.
I flagged that client. He is also hiding his location. He set it USA but he disclosed me that- he is in taiwan.
I am gonna attaching our conversation screenshot.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mohammad Sazzad,

Please note that any requesting of free work is not allowed on Upwork, and it is ToS violation. Please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi! I have flagged that client already. But unfortunately i haven't got any respond.
I am gonna attached our conversation's screenshot.
it will make you clear.

Thanks!!

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Mohammad Sazzad H.,

When this happens, make sure the client clearly states in writing on the Upwork message board exactly what he wants you to do and get him to confirm in writing that (s)he is expecting you to do some work without payment. Be subtle about it, so the client doesn't realize you're setting him up.

You can then complain to Upwork that the client has asked for free work and they can easily confirm the client's TOS-violating request.

Whether or not they will actually remove such a dishonest client's bogus "feedback" from your JSS calculation, no one other than an Upwork employee can tell you for sure.

But I would hope so.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members