🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking for money from me to work for t...
Page options
b13b3ca3
Community Member

Client asking for money from me to work for them up front - Get Connects Back

I submitted a proposal and the client asked me to pay THEM a fee to "join". Is this allowed? I reported the message and withdrew my proposal but I see no way to contact Upwork or ask for my connects back.

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Client asking for money from me to work for them up front"

Well, that's just silly. You know that.

re: "I submitted a proposal and the client asked me to pay THEM a fee to 'join'. Is this allowed?"

Of course that is not allowed.

You simply need to click on the "Flag as inappropriate" link button on the job posting page. Report this. You will automatically get your connects back. You do not need to contact Upwork further.

Even if somebody ELSE reports this job... If Upwork removes the job because it violates Upwork ToS, then ALL freelancers who applied to this fraudulent job get their connects back.

As long as they don't withdraw their proposals.

Withdrawing your proposal from a fraudulent job may prevent you from receiving your connects back.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Matt,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I’ve checked this report and the project has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

We return Connects when a client closes their job without hiring or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. Withdrawal of your proposal for a job posting will not refund the Connects you’ve used. You can find more information here.

Make sure to check our Stay Safe series and learn more on how to work safe online:

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members