🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking for my phone number
Page options
dsparnell1960
Community Member

Client asking for my phone number

I sent a proposal to a potential client.  They have responded to me, asking for me to send a phone number. I politely told them that communication has to be within Upwork messaging.  They again sent message asking for my phone number.   

12 REPLIES 12
nyonomega0
Community Member

If he's asking for it, again and again, chances are he's a scammer. Did the job post look sketchy?

dsparnell1960
Community Member

Now that I look at it again, it really does.   Should I go ahead and report it?

Yep. Report it.

millermelanie
Community Member

If you feel uncomfortable about giving out your phone number, then, by all means, don't; however, it is permissable. I have spoken with several of my clients on the phone when they feel they can convey their instructions better that way. Also, I have been with some of my clients for several years, so we are comfortable with picking up the phone and calling. We also use personal emails occasionally. The client usually asks me which I prefer -- for them to call me or for me to call them. If I prefer to call them, then they give me their number. Although conversations may be held off platform, all payments MUST go through Upwork. There is absolutely no wiggle room there.  

Melanie M wrote:

If you feel uncomfortable about giving out your phone number, then, by all means, don't; however, it is permissible.

In OP's case, it won't be permissible as there is no contract in place between them. Yet. So if she shares her mobile no. it would be considered a violation of Upwork's TOS

Melanie M (sorry, forgot to quote): It's not allowed until there is an active contract. You seem to be referring to active clients, but that isn't what the original poster is taking about.

Deborah P: Please don't give him your number. Ask to speak over Upwork Zoom. A person who isn't yet a client, asking for a personal phone number, could be booted off the platform. So could you if you give it to him/call his number without a contract.

If you have an active Upwork contract, of course you may provide a client with your phone number.

But you are not required to.

It's up to you.

If you want to provide a phone number, but don't want to provide your prime phone number, you can create a free client-specific phone number using Google Voice or a similar service.

Preston H wrote:

If you have an active Upwork contract, of course you may provide a client with your phone number.

But you are not required to.

It's up to you.

If you want to provide a phone number, but don't want to provide your prime phone number, you can create a free client-specific phone number using Google Voice or a similar service.

Yes, I know. I was pointing out to Melanie that what she said only applies for an active contract. So far, Deborah has only sent a proposal. 

Melanie M wrote:

If you feel uncomfortable about giving out your phone number, then, by all means, don't; however, it is permissable. 

It's not before a contract is in place and hasn't been since 2020.

Melanie M wrote:

I have spoken with several of my clients on the phone when they feel they can convey their instructions better that way. Also, I have been with some of my clients for several years, so we are comfortable with picking up the phone and calling.

Once you are hired, sure! The OP isn't hired and must not communicate with a prospective (!) client until a contract is in place. Doing so could lead to losing her Upwork account.

suznee
Community Member

Not every client is comfortable speaking Skype or other. Nice thing is Skype and Google offer cheap or free phone numbers, Skype is about $12 a year for a phone number which allows for calling to any landline or cell phone and Google offers a free number. Just sign up for one and forward to your phone.

Not every client is comfortable with online communication. Find a way to get a number you don't have to give out your home or cell number,

petra_r
Community Member

Suzanne N wrote:

Not every client is comfortable speaking Skype or other. Nice thing is Skype and Google offer cheap or free phone numbers, Skype is about $12 a year for a phone number which allows for calling to any landline or cell phone and Google offers a free number. Just sign up for one and forward to your phone.

This is one of the most significant changes that happened since you've been away. Before a contract is in place, the ONLY way the OP may communicate is via Upwork. The OP doesn't have a contract (yes).

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Deborah, 

I have asked the team to review the client's account and the job. You did well coming here to ask about this client and reminding the client that communication should be through Upwork until a contract is set.

In the future, don't hesitate to report suspicious user activity by following the steps here. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members