🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client asking for pro bono work?
Page options
a_lipsey
Community Member

Client asking for pro bono work?

I thought that asking for free work, or pro bono, was against TOS? Is that not explicitly spelled out for clients? I just came across a job posting that explicitly stated they were looking for pro bono grant writers and it would be good experience for someone entry level. 

There are plenty of other places to find volunteers; I thought UpWork was about finding freelancers/consultants? This wasn't even an attempt to scam someone into free work, just a blatant request for free work. How does this make it past whatever bots are monitoring what gets posted?

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Amanda L wrote:

I thought that asking for free work, or pro bono, was against TOS?

Simply flag it as inappropriate and move on

a_lipsey
Community Member

I flagged it  twice already and it's still there. 

yitwail
Community Member

Amanda, for what it's worth, I flagged it. Moderators, if you're reading this, just search for 'pro bono'. 

ETA: it's now been changed to private/invite-only. That's a step in the right direction.

re: "How does this make it past whatever bots are monitoring what gets posted?"

There ARE automated algorithms in place which prevent many job postings from being public, and which flag jobs so that Upwork can remove them.

These automated algorithms are not perfect, and they never will be perfect. Upwork continues to rely on users to flag inappropriate job postings.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Amanda,

I believe I located the job you are referring to and will make sure it gets reviewed and actioned. But if you have a link to the posting you are talking about, could you please send it to me in a private message so I could double check?

Thanks for flagging!

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths