🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client asking for refund after 1 month.
Page options
mohit_intellarc
Community Member

Client asking for refund after 1 month.

I have successfully completed project for one of my client , but now after 1 Month project completion he is asking for refund. I have done project and get paid. Our contract was only to develop website that I did , I am not in contract with him for maitnance and after 1 Month his website stopped and he is blaming to me for this and asking for refund.

I don't know what he did , Now he is threatening me and asking me to get refund....

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

Mohit:

This client is a bad client, and a bad person.

The client does not even see you as a real person.

It sounds like he saw the "Request Refund" button and simply clicked it thinking he could get some "free money." He doesn't care about you.

I am sorry that this is happening to you.

Fortunately: It has been a full month now since the contract was closed. I do not think his request has any power to it. It is simply a "request", which you do not have to obey.

Keep in mind:

The more time that passes, the less likely it will be that there is any way for him to get his money back.

You have already recieved the payment.

You have already received feedback.

There is no contract in place.

So when you say he is "threatening" you... What exactly is his threat?

Is he threatening that he will "feel bad"?

Is he threatening that he will not send you an e-Christmas card this year?

Whatever you do, be professional and polite.

But I do not see any reason to give him a refund.

If it was me in this situation, I would probably ask him why he was asking for a refund, and tell him I will review his answer and get back to him with a response. Then I would carefully take at lease a week to review and consider his response, before asking him for more information.

petra_r
Community Member

Mohit S wrote:

I am not in contract with him for maitnance and after 1 Month his website stopped and he is blaming to me for this and asking for refund.

I don't know what he did , Now he is threatening me and asking me to get refund....

When was the last milestone released and when was the last milestone funded?

That's all that matters (all the drivel whether the client is "a bad person" is completely irrelevant)

There is a cut-off point for a client to dispute a payment, so the only thing that matters is whether you are or are not "safe" and whether the time where the client can dispute all that was paid under the entire contract (NOT just the last milestone) has passed or not.

ok Got it ....

valery221166
Community Member

Just send him the message:
If you have any problem, contact Upwork dispute resolving team.
Block him, and forget forever.

Valery K wrote:

Just send him the message:
If you have any problem, contact Upwork dispute resolving team.
Block him, and forget forever.

Really? *If*  the client can still dispute that can go spectacularly wrong...

Of course, he can´t.

This is the way of "polite" closing the topic forever.

Valery K wrote:

Of course, he can´t.

This is the way of "polite" closing the topic forever.

Without knowing more details there is no way to know if the client can or not.

If the client can still dispute, this is a surefire way they will be told how to do so by Support.

If, for example, it is outside the 30 day limit, but the contract is still open, all the client would have to do is fund a $ 5 milestone and the entire contract becomes disputable again.

If it's still within the 30 days, the contract, closed or not, can be disputed in full.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths