cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client asking for refund after closes the contract and leaves feedback.

fpetreski
Filip P Member Since: Oct 16, 2017
1 of 7

Hello guys,

I've been stuck with this client that doesn't really know what he wants and I kept working on somethings he wanted to but he didn't want to participate and was giving me no clear requirements so I had to guess what he wanted. In the begining I said to him that I will work for a test and if he doesn't like what I've done I'll refund him the money. 
Now he closed the contract and he's asking me to refund the money even though I spend more than 35hours on his contract. I don't think it is fair from him to ask me for the money back after such a long time. 
Can I get in trouble with upWork or this is just a moral thing for me to do? 

Thank you a lot!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 7

@Filip P wrote:

I said to him that I will work for a test and if he doesn't like what I've done I'll refund him the money. 

If you said that in writing that was an incredibly unwise thing to say.

So yes, all the client has to do now is say he does not like what you did and show that you agreed to refund him the money if he doesn't like what you've done.

Game over.

NEVER make promises you don't intend to keep.

fpetreski
3 of 7

What I promissed was regarding the initial stages of the project. At some point he seemed to like my work and now all out of sudden he wants his money back even though I didn't even clock in most of the hours I spend adapting to what he wanted. What I am asking is, can he put my upwork in danger if I decide not to refund him or am I playing by the rules? Keep in mind the contract is closed now.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 7

Filip: The client's behavior is unprofessional, unethical, and immoral.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
5 of 7

re: "can he put my upwork in danger if I decide not to refund him or am I playing by the rules? Keep in mind the contract is closed now."

He can't put your Upwork account in danger if you don't issue a refund.

In theory, he could contact Customer Service and try to get a refund, but as the contract is closed, he has much less power to do anything. He can't change your feedback any more. But clients have 30 days after a contract has been closed during which they can request mediation, meaning they want Upwork to step in and help them get money back.

MY SUGGESTION TO YOU is to OFFER him a refund.

Then ask him some brief questions about the reasons he wants a refund. Take a long time to consider his responses. Take a long time to think about how much of a refund to give him.

But don't spend a lot of time communicating with him back-and-forth. Just take time to think about what to do. If you can satisfy him that you are taking this seriously, then he is more likely to work with you directly on getting a refund rather than trying to go through Upwork.

In the end, you can give him a refund in the amount that YOU DECIDE is appropriate. Maybe in the end he will accept a refund of 20%. Or 5 dollars.

View solution in original post

fpetreski
6 of 7

Thank you!

mostafizur006
Mostafizur J Member Since: Aug 23, 2018
7 of 7

Hi Filip,

Can you please tell me what happened to your case ? Did u refund? 

I am in a same situation and at a stake what to do.

If refunded, did u take time ?

If not refunded, how the situation ended ?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS