🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking for refund after fixed price co...
Page options
devender_chahal
Community Member

Client asking for refund after fixed price contract got approved automatically after 14 days

I submitted my work and told client to review and test the codes. Client went unresponsive and didn't review work. After 14 days, the work got approved automatically by upwork and I received the amount from escrow to my account (which means there is no amount left in escrow now). Also, he didn't close the contract yet.

After 10 days of approval client reviews and applies for refund stating - "code won't work and I am deleting the code"
Although I checked the code on my laptop and it was working according to his Mac os version and python version too.

There is no option to decline the refund request. So, I wanted to know if client can file any dispute/complaint against me or not.
And if I don't refund, is there any possibility that upwork deducts the refund amount from my future earnings?

1 REPLY 1
petra_r
Community Member

Devender C wrote:

There is no option to decline the refund request. So, I wanted to know if client can file any dispute/complaint against me or not.
And if I don't refund, is there any possibility that upwork deducts the refund amount from my future earnings?

The client can dispute up to 30 days after the last milestone was funded (NOTE: funded, not submitted or released) so if the client funded the milestone more than 30 days ago, it's too late.

You can't decline the refund request, you can just tell the client in messages that you're sorry to hear that but that it works for you and offer to help troubleshoot, but that you are not going to refund. Be polite, helpful and firm. All 3 are important.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths