🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client asking for refund
Page options
ednamd
Community Member

Client asking for refund

Hi,

I am currently dealing with a very disrespectful and complicated client. 

In the job posting, he clearly wrote that he needs a freelancer to write a SEO-optimized article based on the file he attached. He reached out to me. We shortly discussed the job requirements, but it was pretty straightforward from the job posting. Despite the fact that he gave me 2 days to complete the task, I accepted, and worked hours and hours to create an article which is based on his research (attached file) and SEO optimised. I wrote article myself and additionally researched the topic. 

I submitted the article for payment (fixed-contract, money in escrow). He said that I only used the file (even though it was his request), that one sentence was bad, that I haven't added any value to the article, or references (he didn't ask for it).

He then suddenly ended the contract, without discussing an issue with me, or asking me to make corrections. He asked for a refund, which I rejected. In the end he withdrawed the offer?!

I have wrote article according to his instructions, and to that what is in job posting.

Despite very short time, I submitted the article i wrote for hours and hours.

What are the chances he will refund the money? 

Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Better luck with your future clients, Edna. There some great ones out there.

And I'm glad that Upwork made you whole.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
nahidhasan771
Community Member

If client asking for refund‚ you should refund. 

Why should the freelancer refund if they did the work?

df602768
Community Member

If you don't accept the refund request, then Upwork will interfere. They'll try to find common ground between you two, like splitting the payment 50-50. If you're still unwilling to accommodate (or the client), you'd need to go to arbitration which costs almost $300.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

If this was single milestone project, the client fully funded the milestone's escrow and you submitted the completed work using the "Submit" button, then you should be paid in full and no refund is in order.

If the client ended the contract after you properly submitted the work then that has no effect on whether he owes you the amount in escrow and you have earned it. The client could have simply asked you to make some revisions and still paid you in full. It appears he is trying to get your work for free, but he may just be a poor manager of his own projects.

Don't agree to any refund. (And don't even think about arbitration if the total amount being contested is only a couple hundred dollars or less.)

This is the kind of client I wish Upwork would provide more information on, such as how many projects has he cancelled in the past, or requested refunds, etc.? We freelancers are pretty much blind in knowing most clients' history of working honestly with other freelancers.

P.S. Why do you refer to him refunding money to you? If the milestone's escrow was fully funded, he won't be refunding money to you under any circumstances.

P.P.S. If Upwork does allow or suggest that you go to arbitration on this, please come back and let us know.

ednamd
Community Member

Thank you for detailed comment. I never had such experience on Upwork. 

Yes, this was a single milestone contract, and the money is in escrow. He didn't just ended the contract, he even withdrawn the offer he previously sent for that milestone.

I would also agree with you that he could simply ask for revision of any kind - and yes, I am sure he just wants to use my text for free.

I read later that he did the same thing to previous freelancers. Unfortunately, I saw it too late, but I will definitely leave him a negative (and detailed) feedback.

If there was an option to report him to Upwork, I would do it.

Thank you, again, I will update you with new information. 🙂

The client doesn't have to end the contract for you to get paid. If the milestone was released, then submit the work, and you should see the payment in 14 days (give or take a day or two). I'm not clear on how the client withdrew the milestone. How could that happen?

You can report the client to Upwork. Contact Support through the green button on the main forum page, or through the three dots at the top right of your message.

Thank you. I submitted the article and requested payment, but then he changed requirements, and instead of asking for corrections, he ended the contract. He didn't release the milestone. He asked for a refund.

When I entered the messages, I saw he withdrew the offer with the explanation: Sent by mistake. 

I would send you a screenshot, but I am not sure if that is allowed.

And thanks, I will report him. He already did it to other freelancers. Hopefully, I am the last one.

Just to be clear, the client did not fund the milestone before you did the job? The milestones should always be funded and in place before you start a job. It sounds like this wasn't the case and the milestone was not released?

The money was in escrow. He didn't approve milestone, he just ended the contract. Sorry if I was confusing. 🙂

And here is a screenshot of the offer withdrawal:

Screenshot_20221123_224839.jpg

lizablau
Community Member

This is confusing -- did he "withdrawn an offer" or close the contract?  Are you sure you accepted his offer and started the contract?  It seems if he withdrew the offer you never accepted the contract so the escrow amount was never activated. 

Please send a screenshot that shows he ended the contract as you claim, not withdrew an offer.

ednamd
Community Member

He somehow  did both.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I'm sorry, I'm still confused. From the information I have, it appears you didn't have an Upwork contract with a funded milestone, yet you received money? He sent you an offer, yes. I see that, but did you accept it with a contract? Or did you start doing the work? Can you send a screenshot of the milestones? Or the contract?

We did have the contract, as I accepted his offer prior to working.

Here are the screenshots:

Screenshot_20221123_232121.jpg

  

kkears
Community Member

If you did accept the offer, Upwork messenger would show that...it would say "Edna S has accepted the offer."

ednamd
Community Member

I accepted the offer. I don't think we would have the contract it I didn't accept it.

ednamd
Community Member

I attached the screenshot, but it was deleted.

ednamd
Community Member

Hi, 

I just received an answer from the mediation team:

 Seems like we'll both get the money?

ednamd
Community Member

Rather than going through the mediation process (which may take up to 30 days) we would like to resolve this dispute by returning Escrow ($50) to your client and then providing a credit to you for the amount you would have earned on this contract. The amount is $40 ($50 minus the 20% Upwork fee). This is a one-time courtesy; any future disputes will follow the same dispute process made available to all users. Please note that Upwork tracks disputes on the platform to ensure the quality of our marketplace.

~By Mediation team

ednamd
Community Member

In the meantime, the client was highly disrespectful. He humiliated and insulted me, it was a terrible experience. I wrote to Upwork for that reason.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Better luck with your future clients, Edna. There some great ones out there.

And I'm glad that Upwork made you whole.

ednamd
Community Member

Thank you so much! 🙂

pinkmuffin
Community Member

I think you need to check his/her work history, If they don't have long history of good feedback then they are probably scammer ^

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths