🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking for refund
Page options
dhaval10
Community Member

Client asking for refund

Hey team, I'm having an issue with a refund from one of my old client. We've worked for an hourly contract two months before. The contract ended well and he also gave me good reviews (5 stars).

Now after two months, he is asking for a refund. I've done the work honestly and have given him the work. I've logged all my hours with the tracker. I haven't added a memo for the tracker. 

I think the behavior of the client is inappropriate. I want to cancel the refund request and want to raise an issue against this client for inappropriate behavior.

Looking forward to hearing from you
Dhaval Patel

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Respond firmly, politely and BRIEFLY that the work was done, accepted and approved and the contract is closed.

Click on "cancel" on the refund request.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

Dhaval P wrote:

Hey team, I'm having an issue with a refund from one of my old client. We've worked for an hourly contract two months before. The contract ended well and he also gave me good reviews (5 stars).

Now after two months, he is asking for a refund. I've done the work honestly and have given him the work. I've logged all my hours with the tracker. I haven't added a memo for the tracker. 

It's too late for the client to do anything meaningful about it. Depending on the reason the client gave you may want to offer to help with any issues that have arisen. 

Dhaval P wrote:

..... and want to raise an issue against this client for inappropriate behavior.

It is not something you can report a client for.

dhaval10
Community Member

Hey, Thanks for such a quick response. I've attached the screenshots of reviews and msg from his side this morning. how do I delete/reject the refund request?
is there something that I need to do from my side?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

petra_r
Community Member

Respond firmly, politely and BRIEFLY that the work was done, accepted and approved and the contract is closed.

Click on "cancel" on the refund request.

dhaval10
Community Member

Okay, Thank you

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I think the behavior of the client is inappropriate."

You are correct.

This client's request was inappropriate, unprofessional, unethical, and immoral.

Fortunately, as Petra pointed out, you can simply decline the request. This is not something you need to "report" (or can report).

However, it would be NICE if Upwork displayed information about clients... how many times they requested refunds. That would help shut down the insidious behavior of a small percentage of clients who routinely abuse the system.

Hey,

I'm not able to cancel the refund request. Can you help me with this?

Thanks

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dhaval,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with a contract. The client requested a refund of the money they'd already released to you. Please communicate with the client directly to try and resolve any issues amicably. If you agree to refund the money, you can issue the refund directly from the request in Messages. If you decide not to refund, the client may seek mediation assistance from Upwork. If that happens, Upwork team will reach out to you directly.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

What happened, did you refund the client, or was it resolved?

concepcion1230
Community Member

Same here

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members