🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking for work beyond the scope of th...
Page options
henderson42
Community Member

Client asking for work beyond the scope of the contract and to work for no pay.

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Carter H wrote:
The client ended the contract...

I believe he will tarnish my reputation with a negative review

How would the client leave poor feedback after they closed the contract?

The client must have left feedback when they closed the contract. So unless you allow them to change that feedback, the client can't.

I would, however, not push the client to open a new contract for just that reason. You'd be sure to get poor feedback on that! So the neatest way would be to tell the client that you are happy to do the work, but not for free, and what you'd charge. The client can pay as a bonus on the closed contract.

re: "The bonus on the contract is at the clients discretion though, correct? I could deliver the extra work and the client not provide the bonus."

That is correct.

Bonus payments are at the client's discretion.

Upwork will NOT get involved in a client's decision to pay or not pay a bonus payment.

Carter H wrote:
Hi Petra-

Maybe I didn’t explain it well enough: I delivered the completed business plan. The client closed the contract, left a perfect review, and positive feedback. But then came back asking for more.

That’s why I was hesitant to open another contract because I I’ve pushed back on providing free work.

The bonus on the contract is at the clients discretion though, correct? I could deliver the extra work and the client not provide the bonus.

yeah you gotta be careful about bonus stuff. I've been screwed out of bonuses before. My advice is to force a new contract if you want to be paid. If you don't care and it's not something where you're spending hours based on promises, then go ahead and do it. But go forward with the knowledge that you might not get paid.

Carter H wrote:
The bonus on the contract is at the clients discretion though, correct? I could deliver the extra work and the client not provide the bonus.

Don't deliver it until paid then.

Or walk away altogether

I think you should walk away. You seem to be uncomfortable with this one and if they are asking you to work for no pay that's a big red flag. What I think about the bonus? In Spanish we say "A las palabras se las lleva el viento" which means that you cannot rely on a promise. It's incredibly nice to receive a bonus, as it is, when the client wants to reward you for exceeding their expectations in a given job but this is not the case. Here it looks like they want you to do extra stuff in something you already completed. The job you did is ok and the contract is closed so they can't change the good review on that one.

65dab6ce
Community Member

I'd walk away. It seems you already went above and beyond for this client. 

No one client can make or break your freelance business.

There'll be others.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members