🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking me to add them to my facebook a...
Page options
cheema_mundhavni
Community Member

Client asking me to add them to my facebook and whatapp account

Hi, i am fairly new to upwork.

This one client asked me to add them to facebook/ whatsapp to send documents about the job.

It makes me so uneasy.....

Whats the best way to communicate with the clients in upwork? how do we get files/ send back the finished work to the client here?

thanks,

19 REPLIES 19
ncyhere
Community Member

Hi Mundhavni,

client may have asked you to send the documents and files through facebook and whatsapp, but if you send the files through a different way or communicate with client in other means upwork payment protection doesn't apply and also it's against the t&c of upwork.

Never communicate with clients other than upwork, use the submit work for payment in contract page to send the files to client .

Thank You,
Naveen.

petra_r
Community Member

Naveen Y wrote:

client may have asked you to send the documents and files through facebook and whatsapp, but if you send the files through a different way or communicate with client in other means upwork payment protection doesn't apply and also it's against the t&c of upwork.

Nonsense. There is NOTHING wrong with communicating with clients via outside media, in fact I always make sure I have at least one other means of contact. It does not invalidate payment protection and it is not against the terms of service at all.

However, WhatsApp and Facebook are not exactly the most professional ways to share documents and are frequently used by scammy clients.

It doesn't even sound like the OP even HAS a contract with that client at this point.

ncyhere
Community Member

hi petra,

Thats what i am trying to say , you may get scammed if you send documents outside upwork.

Naveen Y wrote:

hi petra,

Thats what i am trying to say , you may get scammed if you send documents outside upwork.

No. Stop saying this, you are going to confuse newcomers who don't know any better.

Sending documents outside UW, in and of itself, does not expose you to being scammed. Getting involved with scammers is what gets you scammed. Most (if not all) successful UW FLs know it is crucial to have an alternative means of communicating and sharing files because the UW message platform is notoriously wobbly.

I typically work with my  clients through email and telephone.  HOWEVER, when I submit work I use both email and Upwork to submit it.  Belt and suspenders...

Thanks Phyllis. This client wanted me to add them on FB and i felt there is just no way this could be right. I just wanted to make sure that upwork has a platfrom for the client to send me the file instead of me adding them to my whatsapp and facebook. It just didnt seem right.

Hi phyllis

you said right new users have no idea so someone fight with eachother that is not good impact for new comers. 

Thanks your reply! 

Thanks, thats helpful!
michael_skaggs
Community Member

Did the message have a line in it similar to 

"Notice: The job post will be removed in several minutes when we hire enough people for the job position."

by any chance? 

Facebook and whatsap are fairly personal. I only use email as an alternative contact method. At times I use skype if the client needs to share his computer with me when he wants to explain something in real time.

Michael, yes it did!

Mundhavni C wrote:

Michael, yes it did!

Yep. Definite scam. If you look at the FB page you'll all the comments are angry Upwork users. They're just trying to get "likes" for their scam page, and have no intention of sending any documents, or even hiring.

And the fact that they said they're going to "hire" people, then close the job listing is proof that they're going against Upwork's ToS.

Report them and move on.

jr-translation
Community Member

Mundhavni C wrote:

Hi, i am fairly new to upwork.

This one client asked me to add them to facebook/ whatsapp to send documents about the job.

It makes me so uneasy.....

Whats the best way to communicate with the clients in upwork? how do we get files/ send back the finished work to the client here?

thanks,

Just tell the client that you do not use facebook/ whatsapp for workrelated activities to protect the privacy of your other clients. He cannot force you to add him if it makes you uneasy. Create a business email account ad use that for all communication with clients they insist to have outside Upwork and to send document. Most clients use google docs nowadays.

thanks Jennifer, i was planning to do exactly that and i recieve a message from the client on UW to add them with a link and it mentioned below 

"Notice: The job post will be removed in several minutes when we hire enough people for the job position." and it seemed more crazy!

Being a new comer, i am just wary of such requests and wanted to cross check with the community gurus!

Mundhavni C wrote:

thanks Jennifer, i was planning to do exactly that and i recieve a message from the client on UW to add them with a link and it mentioned below 

"Notice: The job post will be removed in several minutes when we hire enough people for the job position." and it seemed more crazy!

Being a new comer, i am just wary of such requests and wanted to cross check with the community gurus!

Don't let a client rush you into anything. I would just block the client. It sound like homeshopping: Buy now. Only 10 items left!

You should also keep your work seperated from your private life. That is my biggest advice.

duskoavramovski
Community Member

Well that would be personal preference. I use everything, from Skype to WhatsUp and Viber, emails i make myself available for clients in order to serve them in the best possible way. And because there is no harm in that. That, is by no means, like Petra above stated, against any rules of UpWork.

What IS against UpWork rules is that you accept payment or make contracts outside of UpWork. That is not allowed.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "This one client asked me to add them to facebook/ whatsapp to send documents about the job."

Without knowing more, I would assume based on what you said that this client is simply not very tech-savvy, and isn't familiar with more "normal", professional methods for exchanging data files.

My first thought would be to explain other options and offer to use them.

FTP

email

Dropbox

Google Drive

Microsoft OneDrive

USB thumb drive

WeTransfer

[etc.]

Thanks Preston!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members