🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client asking me to work outside the cont...
Page options
jakovzadro
Community Member

Client asking me to work outside the contract

My client is requesting me to do the tasks that aren't in the contract and even after completing the tasks, he refuses to send tasks from the contract and is sending more work request outside of the contract.

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "My client is requesting me to do the tasks that aren't in the contract and even after completing the tasks, he refuses to send tasks from the contract and is sending more work request outside of the contract."

Jakov:

It is a violation of Upwork ToS for a client to ask freelances to work for free.

You could potentially report this client.

But the most important thing is that you don't get taken advantage.

Do not work for free.

If this is a fixed-price contract, do NOT do work outside of the agreed-upon contract.

Talk to us her in the Forum. Ask us questions about how to handle this. You can provide more details about your particular situation.

A general strategy is to tell the client something like this:

"Daniel: Yes, I think that is a good idea. That should be what we do next on the project. The first milestone is complete. If you release payment for that task, then you can set up a new milestone for $50, to pay for the task of creating the C-19 file."

Then DON'T DO ANY MORE WORK. You already completed the first task. The client needs to release payment for that task, and fund escrow for the next task. If he does not, then you don't do ANYTHING.

Thanks a lot for the response.

I've already said something similar to him but he keeps ignoring it and comes with more work for me and if I refuse it I know the outcome will be a bad feedback for me which is totally not fair and I am really expecting from upwork to find solution for this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Jakov Z wrote:
Thanks a lot for the response.

I've already said something similar to him but he keeps ignoring it and comes with more work for me and if I refuse it I know the outcome will be a bad feedback for me which is totally not fair and I am really expecting from upwork to find solution for this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Upwork doesn't get involved with our deals, which is a good thing. Your two choices are to do the work or dispute (unless you just want to refund and walk away).

This client's behavior is horrible.

Don't do any more work. He needs to pay you.

How much money is involved?

Can you tell him that he needs to pay you within one hour from now, or you will file a dispute?

In no way do I think doing more work is an acceptable option. I would advise you to start a dispute immediately, or close the contract and keep the work for yourself. Post it as a portfolio item.

Another option is to leave the contract open, but not do ANY work until he pays you.

I always start working with fixed-price contract clients using small contracts, so that if they act inappropriately like this I can just walk away and retain ownership of the work.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths