🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking refund for completed project
Page options
619e0ab1
Community Member

Client asking refund for completed project

Hi, I need help as I have a situation that is making me really nervous.

I started an hourly rated contract with a client 2 days ago. As I worked in it the client told me that he was very happy with how it was turning out. I stayed calm while he asked me to continue making revisions to things that were more than anything details.
I finally gave him the final file minutes ago and he immediately told me that he was not happy with the result and sent me a refund request.
How should I proceed to avoid losing the money from all the work done? All hours are logged in the application.
The client did not close the contract either. Is it convenient for me to block him to prevent it from continuing to write to me asking me to return the money that belongs to me?

I never had a situation like this before, I always have good results with my clients and I'm top rated for something.

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Take a few deep breaths. Don't do anything yet, nothing is going to happen until next week, during the review period for hourly work. The work week closes on Sunday; the client has until the following Friday to challenge the hours you logged. If you used the time tracker as prescribed with sufficient activity and memos re the work being performed, then you are covered and will be paid, regardless of what the client says or does.

It's possible, of course, that the client will be spiteful and leave bad feedback but depending on the dollar value of the contract, it may or may not be damaging. If it knocks you down below 90 (or even to 90 or so) then you can use your TR perk to have the feedback removed from your JSS calculation. That is when you'll need to act promptly. For now, just sit quietly and wait. 

Once payment has processed, continue to wait quietly. The client may be in a hurry to close to contract and leave bad fb. But if he doesn't, just let it sit for a while -- weeks or months -- then close it yourself. By that time, he may not bother to come back and leave fb.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
pgiambalvo
Community Member

If you used the time tracker, you are protected. If you did not, you aren't. But still, don't refund the money and make it as hard as possible for them to get it back.

prestonhunter
Community Member

This client is simply trying to steal your time and money.

Obviously you should not give him a refund.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Take a few deep breaths. Don't do anything yet, nothing is going to happen until next week, during the review period for hourly work. The work week closes on Sunday; the client has until the following Friday to challenge the hours you logged. If you used the time tracker as prescribed with sufficient activity and memos re the work being performed, then you are covered and will be paid, regardless of what the client says or does.

It's possible, of course, that the client will be spiteful and leave bad feedback but depending on the dollar value of the contract, it may or may not be damaging. If it knocks you down below 90 (or even to 90 or so) then you can use your TR perk to have the feedback removed from your JSS calculation. That is when you'll need to act promptly. For now, just sit quietly and wait. 

Once payment has processed, continue to wait quietly. The client may be in a hurry to close to contract and leave bad fb. But if he doesn't, just let it sit for a while -- weeks or months -- then close it yourself. By that time, he may not bother to come back and leave fb.

Thank you for taking the time to answer me!

I have all the hours logged with the time tracker with a lot of activity in almost every screenshot. My only doubt is that I only used one same memo for all the work because it was all about the same thing (this was something like 8 hours in total), can that make me lose everything? It would be really silly if not changing the memo all the time made me lose the work.

Thank you again! 

I do not think you will be dinged this time because of the singular memo.

But next time, change it up.

re: "...told me that he was not happy with the result and sent me a refund request."

Such a silly statement, made by this client.

Clients are charged based on the time that you log. Not based on the emotional state the claim to be in. Unfortunately this could be a strategy that be learned from somewhat, or thought up in his own devious mind, that may actually work sometimes.

Sasha A wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to answer me!

I have all the hours logged with the time tracker with a lot of activity in almost every screenshot. My only doubt is that I only used one same memo for all the work because it was all about the same thing (this was something like 8 hours in total), can that make me lose everything? It would be really silly if not changing the memo all the time made me lose the work.

Thank you again! 

I honestly don't know the answer to that but I'll bet someone who does will weigh in tomorrow. Bad clients are frustrating but they are a fact of life, we all encounter one from time to time. The most important thing is to keep our heads and not let them provoke us into doing or saying anything rash.

703328f9
Community Member

hi, need some help,just asking for an advice.. i have a client recently who requested for a refund after upwork approved the payment automatically.. upwork approved payment last may 11, 2022 and client message me requesting for a refund today may 19, 2022. his reason was that i didn't finish the job and then i didn't give him the soft copy which is not true because it can be seen in our conversation in upwork chat room that i sent all the files that he needs. i'm just asking if i can cancel his request or what action can be taken for such a situation.. attached is the screenshots that proves that i submitted the files his asking. thanks in advance

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members