🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking to make changes for free after ...
Page options
moin248
Community Member

Client asking to make changes for free after approving the milestones

Hey, 

So I worked for a client recently. It was a fixed-price contract. The first milestone was to get him sample of the work. I gave him an output excel file, the data in that excel file was exported through my python code. He said it looks great and he approved the first milestone. Then he created another milestone for $195 in which I was supposed to send him the python code and the excel file which I did. I even sent him a demo of my code running before submitting the final code. After submitting the final code. He approved the final milestone and released the payment. After that he told me to make the python code export data into google spreadsheet because the program hes working on does not work with excel files. I told him ok but I will charge for it. It will take significant amount of work to change it from exporting data from excel to google sheets. He told me he has already overpaid me because the offer amount he sent me (which he agreed in the interview) was already over the budget mentioned in his job posting. I also told him asking for free work is not allowed on Upwork. He said he is not satisfied with my output and that it is not helping him at all. I told him it was your requirement to export data into excel file which I did. I even gave him a sample in the first milestone but I guess he didn't test it before approving the milestones. Now I don't know what to do. I am afraid he will give me bad review. Is it possible to report him to Upwork that he asked for free work or to avoid any bad review in this case? I am open to suggestions.

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6
spectralua
Community Member

You done works as described. Excel requested so Excel written. Google docs is separate works, should be paid.

About feedback: don't agree with blackmailing. Leave honest feedback for client then close contract. It is not guaranty good feedback if you will work for free. Bad feedback happened, it is normal. Greedy clients also happened. You want to work for free always?

ericaandrews
Community Member

Yes, you can report him for requesting free work.   He has 2 choices: Take the work that he's paid for and part ways with you, or PAY for the additional work that he is requesting.  Those are his 2 choices.   If he is refusing to pay and demanding extra work, he is violating the Upwork Terms of Service.  In addition, he can't 'threaten' you with a bad review if you refuse to provide the free work.  If I were you, I would get out in front of this and speak with Upwork, because you should not be penalized with a bad review on your profile from a client that was simply demanding free work and got 'upset' that he couldn't successfully steal free labor.

At this point, the person is either already going to leave you a bad review, or just keep extorting you endlessly demanding unpaid work,  hoping that you might keep working just to avoid a bad review.  I would go ahead and report him now so Upwork can try to get in front of that.

It doesn't matter what he put in the BUDGETED amount in the Job Posting.  What matters is the amount he AGREED TO in the contract.  If he thought the price was 'over paying' then he shouldn't have issued the contract to begin with.  He AGREED to that price for that particular set of services, but he can't just 'add in' additional services 'free of charge' just because he wants to get something for nothing.

If he sent these messages through Upwork messenger, you can report the specific messages he sent to Upwork where he is asking for free work.  If the communication was outside Upwork (after the contract was in place), you should start taking screenshots and saving copies now and then contact Upwork - clients that break the rules like to make evidence 'disappear', so back up everything before you file a complaint or dispute.

Yeah, it is silly for a client to claim a freelancer should be happy to do free work because they've already been overpaid. 

moin248
Community Member

Thank you for the replies everyone. I talked to the client over another meeting and we sorted things out. Everything is fine now. Made me realize texts can be a bad mode of communication to resolve conflicts. 

tarrier-design
Community Member

Glad it worked out for you!

My sarcaastic side when asked for free work, not usually for an already payign client, but a random offer of free work is:

Thanks for your offer of free work. I spoke to my landlord, and told them I got a work offer, but it is for free, so can I have a few days free rent? Unfortunalty they said no. I then asked my ulitiies proider if I could have some free electriciy, as I was offered free work, unfortunaly they also said no. Finally, I went to the supermarket, and asked them for some free food, as my work only pays me 'for free'. Guess what... they also said no. So I am sorry, you will have to find someone who doesnt pay rent, pay bills or eat food to help you with this free work, as I need to do all those things. Good luck! 

It is very silly for a client to ask a freelancer to work for free.

As a client, why would I want such as freelancer working on my project?

It is difficult enough these days to get paid freelancers to work on projects. Asking someone to work for free is simply asking for trouble. Such a freelancer would have no motivation to do anything. And is certainly not motivated to make my project a priority.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members