🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking to make payment outside of Upwo...
Page options
crystalbui
Community Member

Client asking to make payment outside of Upwork

Client has stated that the Upwork account is owned by the recruiter hired to create the job posting, so since it doesn't belong to him, he will be unable to pay me through Upwork and will need to use his invoicing system (I have no idea what system this even is because the name hasn't been mentioned). This sounds a bit fishy, but it also sounds plausible. Has anyone dealt with this or does anyone have advice with dealing with this?

The client also said that they've been trying to resolve issues with Upwork's customer service since his account is currently unusable due to the fact that the conversation between us was moved outside of the platform.

My biggest concern here is that if they aren't using Upwork to submit a contract or pay me, I might be at risk. This is my first job so I'm not sure what to do.
4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Well, clients are not allowed to make payments outside of Upwork.

Just like visitors are not patrons are not allowed in the kitchen in a restaurant.

If a client asks, then we can politely and professionally decline and help them to do the right thing.

We don't always know if a client is an innocent person who just doesn't know all the rules, or if she is an outright scammer who knows the rules and is trying to subvert them and rip us off.

The important thing is that we, as freelancers, always do the right thing.

In this case, no matter what the client's story is, we don't accept payment outside of the platform.

Tell them to create a proper Upwork account where they can set a contract and pay you through it. Don't work without a contract and don't accept a payment outside Upwork. A contract is not just a conversation that goes "Do this and do that". There is a functionality in Upwork where the client creates a contract, you receive it and you accept it if you agree with all terms. Then and only then you start working. That contract protects you.

Unexperienced freelancers are targeted by scammers. Be careful and read the articles Upwork have in their Get Started section.

versailles
Community Member

Crystal B wrote:

My biggest concern here is that if they aren't using Upwork to submit a contract or pay me, I might be at risk. This is my first job so I'm not sure what to do.

It's BS. Report them and run. You're a newbie on Upwork and a perfect target for scammers.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Crystal,

Our team will reach out to you via ticket where you can share more details with us about the client. Our team will investigate them further and take proper actions. Thank you for reporting this.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths