🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking to send them a WhatsApp
Page options
nel_zonia
Community Member

Client asking to send them a WhatsApp

Good day, I'm new to Upwork. I recently submitted a proposal and received a message stating that if I am interested in the work I should send a WhatsApp message to a number. Is this how it works or should I ignore this and withdraw my proposal? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Zonia,

I would like to confirm that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. I also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

I advise you to also check this help article to find great tips to stay safe on Upwork. You can also check this post for the freelancer resources and tips for avoiding questionable jobs that we put together to help freelancers make decisions whether to work with a client or not. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
petra_r
Community Member

Zonia N wrote:

I recently submitted a proposal and received a message stating that if I am interested in the work I should send a WhatsApp message to a number.

Don't go ahead, do not contact the client on Whatsapp (you would be violating Upwork's terms of service if you did) - tell the client that due to Upwork's terms of service all contact can only be on Upwork until a contract is in place.

1a1d9435
Community Member

If you're working for tired! so' you can someone work with me given. Contact for Whatsapp,, +880 1611583591 * BD.

bilal1983
Community Member

Yes ignore it, it's most probably a scam targeting new comers. 

And even if it's not a scam, contacting someone outside of Upwork before a contract is against the Terms of Service ToS of UW.

So, avoid sharing contact information like emails or phone numbers with clients, before you have an active contract.

nel_zonia
Community Member

Thanks to all who replied, much appreciated. 

Hi Zonia,

I would like to confirm that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork’s Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. I also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

I advise you to also check this help article to find great tips to stay safe on Upwork. You can also check this post for the freelancer resources and tips for avoiding questionable jobs that we put together to help freelancers make decisions whether to work with a client or not. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
2ba049ec
Community Member

If client want to communicate with me throughout the whatsapp after contract start or ongoing can i communicate with whatsapp?

Yes. That is totally fine.

e230110f
Community Member

what about after the contract has started? Can I talk to them through Whatsapp after the contract has started?

After an Upwork contract is in place, you can use whatever method of communication you want. However, I strongly advise freelancers to use Upwork for all messaging, etc. because it is all documented on the platform. More experienced Upwork user's may not use the function.

7c8f5895
Community Member

If a buyer wishes to contact you outside of Upwork,

Just let them know it’s against the terms of service.

If they cannot accept that, they’re not worth the time and risk. It’s that simple

-Never Ever Violated Upwork T&C

1a1d9435
Community Member

Contact with Whatsapp+880 1611583591

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths