🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asking to share files via Skype, no ve...
Page options
meredgar
Community Member

Client asking to share files via Skype, no verified payment method

This is my second Upwork job. The client says they communicate with all their employees around the world via Skype and is asking for my Skype contact for job details and to share files. The client has no verified payment method yet. What should I do? Is this normal? Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Meredith E wrote:

I have not officially been hired yet, but the client asked for my Skype ID, saying he wants to send me files via Skype. I did respond and say I am comfortable doing some of our communication via Skype, but want to make sure that my contract for the work is established on Upwork (obviously because those are the rules, and I feel much safer that way). He sent a message saying he would wait for me to send my Skype ID. 

To give him the benefit of the doubt, there is a bit of a language barrier between us, so maybe he didn't fully understand my last message. However, again, there is no verified payment method and the client has no past hires that I see.

Is it okay to request that he establish a contract/milestone first before I give him my Skype ID?

Thanks all for your advice.

You can request a lot of things but the client might think you will be too much trouble. The client could share his files with you in the chat. Maybe is just isn't aware of that. You have to decide for yourself how you like to work. E.g. I have no FB or WA and if that is a requirement I am out.

You should make sure to keep your private contact information to yourself and open a seperate email account for your freelance activities.

If the client needs to send you a file for review so you can check if you are fit for the job at hand it would be wrong to request him to establish a contract. In order to create a contract the deliverables have to be clear.

Make sure not to accept an offer if the money is not in escrow.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Meredith,

Have you been hired on a official contract, and is this a fixed price contract? If you have been hired on a official contract you will need to submit the work on the milestone created for you. You can also send a reminder to your client for them to verify their billing method. After 14 days the funds will be transferred to your account if no actions are taken on the milestone. Keep in mind that if you resubmit the work again you will reset the 14 days period. To learn more details about fixed price protection, check out this Help Article.

~ Goran
Upwork

I have not officially been hired yet, but the client asked for my Skype ID, saying he wants to send me files via Skype. I did respond and say I am comfortable doing some of our communication via Skype, but want to make sure that my contract for the work is established on Upwork (obviously because those are the rules, and I feel much safer that way). He sent a message saying he would wait for me to send my Skype ID. 

To give him the benefit of the doubt, there is a bit of a language barrier between us, so maybe he didn't fully understand my last message. However, again, there is no verified payment method and the client has no past hires that I see.

Is it okay to request that he establish a contract/milestone first before I give him my Skype ID?

If the contract is not started with the official method then I recommend you to that you should not share your Skype ID with unverified payment method client. If the client wants to share files with you then you can tell him that he can send the files via Upwork Message. And work with no hire rate clients is too risky so you should be aware. But if you want to share then you can. Thank you.

And work with no hire rate clients is too risky so you should be aware.

Nonsense. All clients start with a 0 hire rate. There is nothing risky as long as you follow the rules.

Yeah, you are right. All clients start with 0 hire rate but I said 'risky' not for just hire rate, the client is also new and he didn't verify their payment method yet so we all don't know much about the client. If he wants to work with Meredith then why he doesn't start the contract officially?  So Meredith can think better for herself. I just shared my thoughts.

Meredith E wrote:

You can request a lot of things but the client might think you will be too much trouble. The client could share his files with you in the chat. Maybe is just isn't aware of that. You have to decide for yourself how you like to work. E.g. I have no FB or WA and if that is a requirement I am out.

You should make sure to keep your private contact information to yourself and open a seperate email account for your freelance activities.

If the client needs to send you a file for review so you can check if you are fit for the job at hand it would be wrong to request him to establish a contract. In order to create a contract the deliverables have to be clear.

Make sure not to accept an offer if the money is not in escrow.

alzakir
Community Member

You can communicate Via Skype but not work outside Upwork. You must start work after hiring at upwork hourly or Fixed budget. For fixed budget obviously, create milestone.  Thanks

hijaziebadsyed
Community Member

Hi Meredith,
Firstly, ask your client to verify their payment method. If the client will not verify their payment method then I would suggest you that you should not share your Skype contact with the client.

petra_r
Community Member

Meredith E wrote:

This is my second Upwork job.

Until you are hired and have a contract and the client has verified their payment method, it id not your job at all...

Nothing wrong with talking to clients on Skype, but be very aware that you don't have a job until hired.

yitwail
Community Member

Meredith, your concern about the client’s unverified payment method might be a bit misplaced. Even if the client had verified payment method, you’d still be providing someone who might not hire you with your Skype ID. So you’ll have to decide if the job is worth the risk of sharing it with the client. If not, explain to the client that you prefer to receive the materials through Upwork messaging, and that once you’re hired you will provide your Skype ID
Learning Paths