cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client asking you to buy from Amazon

Irish T. L Member Since: Aug 29, 2015
21 of 28

Whew, thanks for the warning. So far, I have not done that yet. I have purchased a few books on my own from Amazon, but I have not even written reviews yet. Initially, I was just thrilled to be paid for doing something that I love, reading. Smiley Happy But well, at least now i know....

Ace Contributor
Stephen D Member Since: Aug 25, 2015
22 of 28

Note that jobs that violate the ToS of another service, product or website are also prohibited on Upwork

If that is so, why are flagged projects not being removed?

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
23 of 28

Removing scammers from Upwork is like removing weeds from a garden--there will always be more. 

Gaylene L Member Since: Dec 30, 2019
24 of 28

I've been trying to contact support for a similar problem, but it keeps taking me back to this forum for help rather than letting me report the client. She's asking me to buy her book and then write reviews. Is there a different way to contact support that I'm not aware of? I'm new to Upwork and this is my first conversation with a potential client.  Thanks for your help!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
25 of 28

Gaylene:

It is not necessary for you to contact Upwork Customer Support. You may ask questions here in the Forum.

Let's discuss this rationally:

If a person wants you to BUY something, does that sound like a JOB? Or does it sound like someone is getting you to use you own money to benefit them?

Also, if someone has written a book and wanted an honest assessment of that book, or wanted a review that they could post on their personal blog... that's all fine and good. But wouldn't that author simply send you the book, or the PDF file? Why ask you to buy the book?

And because you have already read this thread, you already know about Upwork's corporation with Amazon.com, such that jobs which violate Amazon.com ToS are prohibited by Upwork. Amazon.com's rules about reviews are very strict. You would want to be familiar with those rules, lest you run afoul with either site and face sanctions.

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
26 of 28

Gaylene L wrote:

Is there a different way to contact support that I'm not aware of? 

Yes, you can report the client by going to the project posting and clicking on the green "Flag as inappropriate" link on the upper-right hand side. 

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
27 of 28

Hi Gaylene, 

I can see that a member of the Social Media Team has responded to your Twitter message to assist you with your concern. 

Let me know if you will need further assistance with anything.

-Avery
Untitled
Gaylene L Member Since: Dec 30, 2019
28 of 28
Thank you! I blocked that person and flagged the job as inappropriate per
the twitter response. I appreciate all the help I’ve received from everyone
on this.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS