Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client asks for changes again and again

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Maxim B Member Since: Aug 14, 2016
1 of 7

Hello all. Please, give me advise.

A client asked for a custom logo, I have made the sketch using photoshop.

He liked it,  I have turned it to the vector and from this moment client started to ask for changes.

I have made over 5 different versions with different changes but he needs more and more.

I told him that I can't continue make more changes. 

What usually happens in such a situation? What is the best strategy in this case?

Thank you

The sum of the contract is very low.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Randall S Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
2 of 7

Not sure this'll help THIS time around, but it's a good education for the future:

Manage those expectations beforehand. You should have policy on the number of revisions you'll allow within a particular price range, and WHEN those revisions are allowed. AND a further policy on how the client will be charged for revisions outside of those limits. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 7

I agree with Randy.

You may need to take your lumps on this one.

No Upwork freelancer can survive for long doing fixed-price contracts if they let clients treat them as if they are a magical wishing well. Those of us with experience do not allow this, and we proactively set up our contracts so that it does not happen.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 7

re: "The sum of the contract is very low."

Actually, Maxim:

You have 53 jobs completed, and 100% Job Success Score.

If you want to, you can close this contract and refund the client's money. You have enough jobs built up that you shouldn't see any drop in your JSS at all.

If I was PERSONALLY in your situation, I would tell the client:

"Jason:

I have enjoyed working on this project, and I would be very happy to continue working with you. But it is time to move on from this fixed-price contract. Please feel free to release the funds in escrow and close the current contract, and everything we have worked on - ever version and every file - will belong to you. Or, if you prefer, you can request a full refund and pay nothing at all. In that case, I could retain ownership of the work.

I won't be able to do any more work on this fixed-price contract, but if you want to continue working with me, you could set up an hourly contract, which would be completely flexible and allow you to ask for as many changes as you need."

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
5 of 7

Thank you Randy.

Thank you Preston. 

I thought something like that, but your answer is much more elegant and so wise.

I hope you don't mind if I use it in my situation.

Yes, it's the first time for me, but it's a good experience, you are right.

Thank you very much.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 7

@Preston H wrote:
You have enough jobs built up that you shouldn't see any drop in your JSS at all.

Not true.

A "nothing paid AND (!!)  no feedback or poor private feedback" contract will always  cause the JSS to drop.

That said, Maxim is top rated, so can use his top rated perk (provided he has not used it during the last 10 jobs and 3 months) to make the effect go away.

I'd go ahead as Preston suggested right away, then wait until the next JSS update on the 19th and see how much of a JSS drop it causes. Then decide if it's worth using the top rated perk or not bother.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
7 of 7

Petra, Thank you very much.

You are great people, you help other people every time.

I always get help from your experience.

Thanks a lot. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS