🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asks for my personal contact
Page options
manirka
Community Member

Client asks for my personal contact

Hi! One of my client that didn't work with me before asks for my Skype ID. I said to him twice that Upwork doesn't allow it, but he is still asking. What should I do about it? Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Maryna K wrote:

Hi! One of my client that didn't work with me before asks for my Skype ID. I said to him twice that Upwork doesn't allow it, but he is still asking. What should I do about it? Thanks!

Tell the client that until you are hired all communication must be through Upwork only. Oce you are hired you can communicate however you like.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Maryna K wrote:

Tell the client that until you are hired all communication must be through Upwork only. Oce you are hired you can communicate however you like.

manirka
Community Member

Thank you so much! 

prestonhunter
Community Member

In fact, there is kind of a "sneaky" but completely allowable workaround if a client really wants your contact information.

If the client hires you for a five dollar fixed-price contract labeled "consulting and contract information", then he can pay you a small token sum of just $5, and you can then share as much contact information as you want, without actually doing any work.

Preston H wrote:

If the client hires you for a five dollar fixed-price contract labeled "consulting and contract information", then he can pay you a small token sum of just $5, and you can then share as much contact information as you want, without actually doing any work.

Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad idea on so, so many levels.

I hope any freelancers who value their profile and their JSS ignore this and never, under any circumstances, suggest that to a client, ever.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Maryna K wrote:

If you've explained the rules and the client is still insisting on getting your Skype ID, I would steer clear. Have you suggested calling him via the Upwork system? (If you try this and it doesn't work, that's a different matter, but there's no need to cross that bridge until you come to it.)

pandoraharper
Community Member

Maryna K wrote:

As others have already stated, you should stear clear of anyone who risks both your and their accounts by violating the current Upwork Terms of Service.

Also, due to the current number of posts regarding the TOS, and the topics contained therin, I would go further and suggest:

1. The minute a new Message Center room is opened, that you post a TOS disclaimer. This will do two things simultaneously: 1) show you know what the rules are and that you have informed the client and 2) your informing the client, who very likely does not know about the new TOS.

2. Creating a line in your cover letters that bascially says, more or less:

If your interested in talking to me about this position, please let me know by scheduling a time for us to speak via the Upwork Meeting tool, which is currently required by the current Terms of Service. This page outlines this new rule in detail - https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360049608113-Sharing-Information-on-Upwork

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths