cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client asks for work after allowing Upwork to approve submitted milestone

rogmaryperezp
Rogmary P Member Since: May 16, 2017
1 of 7

Hello, everyone. I'll explain the issue as briefly as I can.

I started a contract with a client for a fixed price. He approved my first mistone but not my second, and fired me. I answered him letting him know that I would wait until he closed the contract. He didn't close the contract (didn't answer my message either) and Upwork approved the milestone after 14 days, clearly. 

Days later, I closed the contract on my own and left a just feedback for him, since everything wasn't bad, I just didn't meet his requirement for the last milestone. Today he sent me a message explaining that he "had to deal with something unexpected", and he's asking me to deliver the last milestone again, "if that works for me".

I personally don't agree to this since I told him to close the contract as soon as he fired me, so he could get his money back from escrow. But I would certainly like a second opinion from you.

Thanks a lot in advance!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 7

@Rogmary P wrote:

Days later, I closed the contract on my own and left a just feedback for him, since everything wasn't bad, I just didn't meet his requirement for the last milestone. Today he sent me a message explaining that he "had to deal with something unexpected", and he's asking me to deliver the last milestone again, "if that works for me".

I personally don't agree to this since I told him to close the contract as soon as he fired me, so he could get his money back from escrow. But I would certainly like a second opinion from you.

Were you paid for the last milestone?

Also remember that the client can still leave feedback for you...

rogmaryperezp
3 of 7

Hi Petra.

Yes, I was paid since Upwork approved the milestone after 14 days. But it wasn't approved by the client, he actually fired me but without closing the contract or asking for a refund.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 7

@Rogmary P wrote:

Hi Petra.

Yes, I was paid since Upwork approved the milestone after 14 days. But it wasn't approved by the client, he actually fired me but without closing the contract or asking for a refund.

The client paid, (it is irrelevant whether the client actively paid or the milestone auto-released) so the client is entitled to the work he paid for. I'm not sure what the issue is, you're not being asked to do any additional work, just what's already been paid for, right?

Just send him the work.

rogmaryperezp
5 of 7

Ok, understood. Thanks for the help!

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 7

eh, crappy. I've had a few like this. If you were paid, might as well do it. He's a dbag though.

rogmaryperezp
7 of 7

Got it. Seegin that all the answers suggest the same approach, I guess I'll take your advice and deliver the milestone again.

Thanks and have a nice week!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS