🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client asks if I have Amazon Prime
Page options
bethduddy
Community Member

Client asks if I have Amazon Prime

I'm brand new to Upwork and was approached today by a client with a small gig who asked - among other things - if I have an Amazon Prime account. Should I be suspicious? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Beth,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I've located the job post and the offer you're referring to and escalated it to the correct team for their review. 

Please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I'm brand new to Upwork and was approached today by a client with a small gig who asked - among other things - if I have an Amazon Prime account. Should I be suspicious?"

It is not against the rules for a client to ask if you have an Amazon Prime account.

Should you be suspicious?
Yes.

Is this client up to no good?
Almost certainly.

Should you let a client use your Amazon account in any way?
No.

Are there legitimate jobs involving Amazon.com and Amazon Prime accounts?

Yes.

For example, if you are a web developer with experience in creating online stores, you might be hired to consult with a business owner about how to present their product line within Amazon.com.

If a business owner needs items regularly purchased from Amazon.com, he might have a business account that he allows freelancers to use so that they order the material goods they need for the work project.

Are most "jobs" that newbie freelancers get invited to which involve Amazon Prime just scams that will end up harming the freelancer?

Yes.

If you have ANY questions at all, then come here to this thread to talk to us about the situation.

Honestly, we love to talk about this kind of stuff.

wescowley
Community Member

Like Preston said, this could be legitimate, but my money's on a scam of some kind.

Be careful. Make sure you fully understand what they're asking for before you accept the contract. If there's any hint you'll have to spend your own cash, walk away. The same goes if they're looking for you to review items.

They were asking me to choose an image for their product. It was a 1
minute/$5 gig to start, with the promise of positive feedback and more work
if I acted quickly. The Amazon question seemed fishy so I turned it down.

Beth D wrote:
They were asking me to choose an image for their product. It was a 1
minute/$5 gig to start, with the promise of positive feedback and more work
if I acted quickly. The Amazon question seemed fishy so I turned it down.

Good for you for turning it down. It is a scam and you should also report the client. Any client promising positive feedback is suspect - $5.00 is suspect - more work is suspect. Who wants more work from a $5.00 client?  

This definitely sounds suspicious. Good that you trusted your instincts on this one. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Beth,

Thank you for flagging this for us. I've located the job post and the offer you're referring to and escalated it to the correct team for their review. 

Please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths