🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client asks to divide his payment into tw...
Page options
dmitriy_sl
Community Member

Client asks to divide his payment into two parts, we have 1 milestone and fix price contarct

Hello Upwork community.

After delivering ready materials  to my client as we discussed  in a contract, he asked me if it is appropriate for me  to divide his payment into two parts.He is ready to pay the first part now and the second "after final revision".As far as I understand it is okay,isn't it ? But is it possible to divide fix price contract with 1 milestone into two parts? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "But what if we have contract for 54$ and I have done all the job for the full sum and delivered it and now he is asking to divide?"

Don't you think that is a bit silly?

Let me ask you this?
What if YOU were the client?

And you hired a person to do a project for you?

Imagine you hired a painter to paint the fence around your house for $54.

Then the painter FINISHED the task. Would YOU ask the painter if you could pay him some now, and then pay some more money later?

Or would you just pay the painter the $54 that you owe him?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

A client can divide his payment into 30 payments if he wants to. Or more.

You do the work that was paid for. Then he releases the payment.

If he divides up a hundred dollar project into ten payments of ten dollars each, then he funds ten dollars, and you do ten dollars of work, then he releases the ten dollars to you.

Repeat as many times as you want to.

That is okay I understand that.But what if we have contract for 54$ and I have done all the job for  the full sum and delivered it  and now he is asking to divide?

re: "But what if we have contract for 54$ and I have done all the job for the full sum and delivered it and now he is asking to divide?"

Don't you think that is a bit silly?

Let me ask you this?
What if YOU were the client?

And you hired a person to do a project for you?

Imagine you hired a painter to paint the fence around your house for $54.

Then the painter FINISHED the task. Would YOU ask the painter if you could pay him some now, and then pay some more money later?

Or would you just pay the painter the $54 that you owe him?

Thank you,I think I should politely inform the client that I need full sum for my work with one payment.Actually,his request seemed to me silly that is why I came here. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "But is it possible to divide fix price contract with 1 milestone into two parts?"

A milestone is a part.

Divide a contract into two parts, that means two milestones.

lysis10
Community Member

Dmitriy S wrote:

Hello Upwork community.

After delivering ready materials  to my client as we discussed  in a contract, he asked me if it is appropriate for me  to divide his payment into two parts.He is ready to pay the first part now and the second "after final revision".As far as I understand it is okay,isn't it ? But is it possible to divide fix price contract with 1 milestone into two parts? 

Yeah I wouldn't go for that. Tell him to escrow the whole thing.

66ecf5bc
Community Member

Hi Dmitriy,

Milestones are the part of the job and are set before the project starts. In your case, the only different thing is that the client is requesting for the second milestone after the project is done.  When you get in contact with the client, request him to pay the whole amount in a soft manner. If he doesn't agree, ask him the exact date and time for the sure payment. 

Don't worry thinking whether he will pay the remaining amount or not! As you have already brought this case under the community's notice.  In case, he doesn't pay, you keen seek help from the community again and they will solve your issue with your single click as they agree for the milestone.

Hope it will be helpful.

Best.

Thanks

https://www.coupongot.com/

Naheed M wrote:

Hi Dmitriy,

Milestones are the part of the job and are set before the project starts. In your case, the only different thing is that the client is requesting for the second milestone after the project is done.  When you get in contact with the client, request him to pay the whole amount in a soft manner. If he doesn't agree, ask him the exact date and time for the sure payment. 

Don't worry thinking whether he will pay the remaining amount or not! As you have already brought this case under the community's notice.  In case, he doesn't pay, you keen seek help from the community again and they will solve your issue with your single click as they agree for the milestone.

Hope it will be helpful.

Best.

Thanks

You clearly don't know anything about how Upwork payment protection works.

Maybe consider reading up just a bit more before dishing out free bad advice?

Upwork provides zero payment protection if a freelancer choses to work outside best practices for the fixed-price system, which is exactly what you are advising.

In case a milestone is not funded, Upwork cannot, and will not compel the client to release monies beyond what has been already funded in Escrow.

OP had better follow the real advice given, which is to require the client fully fund the milestone and only perform work toward the funded milestone.

Naheed M wrote:

Hi Dmitriy,

Hope it will be helpful.

Best.

Thanks

What are you doing? Why are you paraphrasing prior posts and then adding bad advice?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths