cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client assisted by Upwork with invites, in the end none is hired.

miroslav84
Community Guru
Miroslav M Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
1 of 12

Three weeks ago my profile was approached by an Upwork's Project Success Manager who invited me to apply for a job at a company which obviously paid for that service.

Went through their application process, sent some ideas on their request which came as "Additional Questions" but it was very brief, had a lengthly phone interview and stff alike, but I failed to pass, officially because they "went with another applicant".

Just out of curiosity I checed that job posting. Les than 5 proposals. 2 interviews.

No mention on any hires.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 12

@Miroslav M wrote:

1) Three weeks ago my profile was approached by an Upwork's Project Success Manager who invited me to apply for a job at a company which obviously paid for that service.

2) Just out of curiosity I checed that job posting. Les than 5 proposals. 2 interviews.

No mention on any hires.

1) Nonsense. They do NOT pay for that service, let alone "obviously"

2) No, the client either a) didn't want to hire you and went with the "kindest" option which is "chose another candidate or 2) set up a contract via direct hire rather than from the interview process which is very common.

How on earth you twist those facts into a scam - let alone one worth screaming in capital letters, is beyond me. How on earth do you concoct a scam out of the fact a client interviewed two people and did not hire you?

Plus, of couse, all the applicants that were already declined or didn't accept the invitation to interview no longer count into the number of applicants. So frankly you are drawing wild conclusions based on a faulty interpretation of the data.

miroslav84
Community Guru
Miroslav M Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
3 of 12

First, just wanted to say there's none hired. I did not complain about why it wasn't me. There is none hired on that particular job.

Second. Did not want to accuse anyone for anything, just was curious to see with others and check if it seems scammy to them, because I gave them some ideas pertaining to their strategy. It came as Additional Questions so it was unavoidable to offer in order to get any further response from them. Also had to give some ideas to them in private convo on Upwork and later on Skype.

Third, It is a novel client, I was not approached by them but from someone in Upwork who had to dedicate their time finding some right candidates for their job. Isn't it normal to be a paid service Upwork offers to clients? Maybe it's not, but why should Upwork managers assign their staff to clients' problems, especially new ones without history at no cost? Think about time they need to learn from the client about what they need, to mine several persons from this huge freelance pool, write to everyone among them, communicate with the client etc.

Fourth: Their rates were actually rather good, and they could have certainly found good, if not premium talent on Upwork with their budget. It wascertainly enough to attract those with much more experience, expertise and knowledge than I have, but it turned out to be none from here.. As you pointed out, the number of applicants doesn't represent all of those who applied, and I know it. I am certain there was a lot of other applicants, and is quite odd they went with someone not from Upwork, especially if they paid for that invite assistance service (for which maybe I am not right, but a common logic is that such a service is billed).  Doubt they couldn't find good Upwork talent with what they offered.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 12

@Miroslav M wrote:
..............just was curious to see with others and check if it seems scammy to them

Third, It is a novel client, I was not approached by them but from someone in Upwork who had to dedicate their time finding some right candidates for their job. Isn't it normal to be a paid service Upwork offers to clients?

No, it does not "seem scammy"

Again. No. It is not paid for.

There quite clearly isn't enough evidence of anything. Someone posted a job and didn't hire. The End.

They told you they chose someone else. (which is the most commonly checked one of the multiple choice options when declining a candidate)

It could be they found a freelancer on another platform, in their own office, on the beach...... heaven knows where.

It could be the project went away.

It could be the client was run over by a bus, joined a cult, or was abducted by aliens.....

Who cares.

At any rate there is nothing that suggests foul play, and certainly not "leading edge" type foul play.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 12

Hi Miroslav,

I agree with Petra and can confirm our team offers assistance to new clients without any charge.

Untitled
elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
6 of 12

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Miroslav,

I agree with Petra and can confirm our team offers assistance to new clients without any charge.

Maybe they shouldn't.

As I haven't seen any evidence so far that they excel at what they do.

Free work certainly doesn't equal good experiences on this platform. No matter who performs it.

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
7 of 12

@Ela K wrote:

@Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Miroslav,

Maybe they shouldn't.

As I haven't seen any evidence so far that they excel at what they do.

Free work certainly doesn't equal good experiences on this platform. No matter who performs it.

100% agree. Luckily, Valeria removed me from their list, and so I don't get their infuriating invites anymore.

I wish Upwork's would dedicate its "valuable" resources to doing something more useful like, let's say, fixing bugs on the platform. 

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
8 of 12

Some clients, in fact, pay for recruitment assistance. Since I am not eligible to benefit from that particular program, I don't keep up on its details, and don't know if it's applicable to Miroslav's case. Such payment is not, in any event, an unreasonable inference.

Best to all,

Michael

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
9 of 12

Miroslav presented what he experienced.  He then shared his thoughts and questions.

It is excruciatingly bad form to "read him the riot act". 

zcharlie
Charles C Member Since: Dec 15, 2015
10 of 12

Unfortunately seems to be the norm around here Wendy.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS