🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Client blackmailing with the feedback fun...
Page options
rexoninnovations
Community Member

Client blackmailing with the feedback function asking for more work.

Hi, My client is blackmailing with the feedback function. Please see the attached screenshot file of the negative review that he posted.  

So my doubt is if the project is to deliver a 1-day workload then if the client is asking to deliver 2 days of workload and threatening/blackmailing about leaving negative feedback, what can I do? Regarding this how can Upwork support help me with this? So please guide me on this.

Thanks, Joel.

10 REPLIES 10
a_lipsey
Community Member

Joel M wrote:

Hi, My client is blackmailing with the feedback function. Please see the attached screenshot file of the negative review that he posted.  

So my doubt is if the project is to deliver a 1-day workload then if the client is asking to deliver 2 days of workload and threatening/blackmailing about leaving negative feedback, what can I do? Regarding this how can Upwork support help me with this? So please guide me on this.

Thanks, Joel.

I don't see anything about blackmail in that screenshot. The client says for now his rating is negative, but if you complete the work, that might change it. That seems reasonable to me because at this stage and the close of the  contract, he did not feel you did a good job. If you complete the work as agreed, that would change his opinion, which is reasonable.  

Blackmail is when a client says "do this or I will give you a poor rating"  BEFORE they do it. He's already given you a bad rating.  He's not blackmailing you, he's saying that as of now, this is his opinion of his work, and that could change in the future. 

It seems to me the client expected you to complete the project in 1 day, but it's taking you 2 days. I would think any client would leave a bad rating if you don't deliver on time.  Fixed price is not based on workload or time but on the deliverable. So you agreed to a deliverable (this project) within one day, and it's taking you longer, which means the client is not satified, therefore, poor rating.  So you want more time or more pay because you assessed the project poorly before taking it.  

Not blackmail. Just bad vetting. I've been there too. Take the lump and move on. 

a_lipsey
Community Member

Also, you need to work on your communication and delivery. This is not the first client to give you open feedback about where they weren't satisfied. That's actually quite useful and actionable for you to improve upon. You have a track record of not clarifying deadlines, not meeting them, and poor communication. That's relatively easy to address. You need to establish clear deadlines on each deliverable with each client. And proactively communicate when there are questions or delays. 

I just got 5 stars publicly but dinged privately and have no clue why. It's much better that you got actionable feedback. You can use this to improve. 

That's a great point, Amanda. A while ago I had a client (we still work together quite frequently) take half a star or something like that for deadlines, even though a project wasn't "late" in the strict sense. We didn't have a stated deadline, but it took a little bit longer than he thought it should. In the end, even if some might see that as "unfair," it actually gave me a good opportunity to see where I needed to tighten up my operation. I hate knowing a client didn't have a perfect experience but I don't know why.

Amanda L wrote:

I just got 5 stars publicly but dinged privately and have no clue why. It's much better that you got actionable feedback. You can use this to improve. 

Might you have forseen that ding to your JSS?

Abinadab A wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

Might you have forseen that ding to your JSS?

Well, I broke my own client vetting rules, so yes. (I won't go into more detail than that.) And thanks for pointing that out. 🙂 I am not perfect, contrary to popular belief. 😉 

I am sure the client has an opinion about what they were unhappy with, and I wish they had shared that with me so I could address it. 

Very well said, actionable feedback gives contractors the opportunity to improve, if the client feels like the contractor can or will improve but we have to be careful and keep our communications clear. If due to a valid reason, the work submission/completion is delayed, it sould be communicated properly with the client beforehand. 

lysis10
Community Member

lol freelancers love throwing around "blackmail" a lot. That's not blackmail. That's saying you didn't deliver but if you do then he'll change the review. He even paid you anyway. How is "deliver what I paid for" blackmail? lol

JoanneP

Hi Joel,

Could you please send me a PM by clicking on my name and kindly share more information regarding this so I can check? Thank you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi,

Ok, I just sent it. Please check.

Thanks,

Joel.

how did it go?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members