🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client budgets seem to be getting lower latel...
Page options
bzstudio
Community Member

Client budgets seem to be getting lower lately.

Is it just me, or has Upwork lowered the suggested budget amounts for certain types of jobs? At first there were a lot of jobs posted for book covers for $200. I figured that amount must be a suggested option for the client to choose from to put as their fixed price budget. Even that is a bit low for the amount of time put into them, but I haven't seen one at that price for a long time. Now I'm seeing a lot of them for $50, which is a completely unacceptable amount. Can anyone tell me if the suggested amount has changed, or has Upwork been attracting a lot more cheap customers? I even saw one for two book interiors from someone who was "willing to pay more at Expert level" and her budget was $65 for both books. I normally charge around $300 for a book interior.

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Lisa T wrote:

Is it just me, or has Upwork lowered the suggested budget amounts for certain types of jobs? At first there were a lot of jobs posted for book covers for $200. I figured that amount must be a suggested option for the client to choose from to put as their fixed price budget.

There is not, and never has been, a "suggested amount" on fixed rate jobs.

rolludesig
Community Member

yes no doubt budgets are at all time low these days  and funnypart in this that every graphic designing job is simple one for clients..not sure why?

margotalks
Community Member

I think it's all about the competition on the market. There are lots of freelancers who are ready to work for 50$ a day, and they apply for such proposals. 

For me personally, I apply only for interesting projects, and if the budget is too low - I still apply, but just name my price, that's it. Contractors then make a decision on whether or not to accept it. Sometimes they realise that their price is unrealistic for the top professional, and choose quality over the low price. 

I also don't do the "test work" - like, "Write 2 emails for free, and then I'll see if you're good to work with". 
I explain my position clearly without offending or insulting anyone, that I appreciate my time and my work, and they understand. Besides, it's not a 9 to 5 job, right? You're the one to decide to accept the offer or not. 

Margarita,

In my business services niche I am sure many potential clients have absolutely no idea what they should expect to pay for the work they are looking to have done. Many have no business experience, so their ignorance is not unexpected, though they could educate themselves with just a little research before posting their jobs on Upwork.

A few have accepted my in-some-cases-much-higher-than-they-budgeted pricing, but I generally avoid submitting proposals on low budget projects. I completely avoid the ones that ask a lot of the canned questions Upwork offers them - "Have you done other projects like this one?" "Why do you think you are a good fit for this particular project?" "Do you mind if we have lots of phone calls for which you won't bill us?" (OK. I made that last one up.)

lysis10
Community Member

ahh, the joys of summer where it's warm and I get to be lazier than usual and just like clockwork I get to read about how Upwork is falling apart and client budgets are awful. More awful than usualy you see. There's no jobs and what do with that text box that lets you put in your own bid amount and we're all gonna die.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members