cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client can't hire me

enda_patrick
Active

I have been in correspondence with a client through Upwork for a few days now. After looking at some of my samples they would like to hire me. Everytime they try and formally hire me they can't. 

What should I do. I don't want to loose the client.

Enda

10 REPLIES 10
mthornton-cpc
Community Guru

Are they trying to send you an offer and are unable? 

They just said that Upwork was being weird and won't let them formally hire me. I've completed their job, but I've asked if they can try and hire me again - I'm still waiting on wether or not they can.

Does the client have a verified payment method???

Do NOT hand over any shred of the work until hired....

Of course, what Petra said is paramount. 

But wait, are you saying you completed the work before accepting an offer for the job? 

@Melissa T wrote:

But wait, are you saying you completed the work before accepting an offer for the job? 

@Melissa T wrote:

Sounds like it... hopefully not handed it over.

I am wondering if the client hasn't put a payment method on file and that's why "Upwork is acting weird..."

They're offline at the minute, but I've sent them another message to try and hire me again. I'll wait on the response.

Thanks.

E

I have all of the files on my end, but I'm unwilling to release them until I'm officially hired through Upwork. The client looks to have a good history, and I've had a look at his website, so he seems legit, I think he's just hit a glitch maybe. Does this happen much?

Don't do work before being officially hired. Ever. The chances of never seeing payment when you complete work before being hired approach 100%. 

The answer to whether this happens much is no. The platform can have glitches, sure, but the scenario you describe is the actual opposite of how the whole thing is supposed to work. 

Okay, thanks for letting me know. I didn't actually do much to the files he sent, that's why I'm waiting on being hired. I'll wait until the client gets back to me to find out if the issue is resolved.

E

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Enda,

I checked and didn't find any issues that would prevent the client from hiring you. If the client runs into any specific error, please ask him to contact support and provide details. 

Please, as others have already pointed out on this thread, please avoid doing any work without an active contract in place and don't accept any payments outside of Upwork if you met the client on the platform.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS