🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client cancel fix price job as he received w...
Page options
abidhussain5243
Community Member

Client cancel fix price job as he received work without reviewing it.

Hi,

I have a contract with the client on fix price base. the client told me a lie that it is a special task (not an exam and assignment). but it was his exams. He wants to get my WhatsApp number but I denied it. Whenever I completed his work, the very next moment he canceled the contract without review anything. He wants to get his work free of cost just criticize it without any proof. Now he requested me to release the escrow refund. What should I do? what is its effect on my JSS?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Jennifer addressed one aspect of the original poster's situation. I'll set that aside and address other aspects in a general sense. The following is not about the original poster but applies to fixed-price contracts generally:

re: "He wants to get his work free of cost just criticize it without any proof. Now he requested me to release the escrow refund. What should I do?"

If you did the work, you should be paid.

Here's how fixed-price contracts work:

1. Client and freelancer agree to a task.

2. Freelancer does task.

3. Client pays freelancer.

That's it.

That is not complicated.

But what if the client says he doesn't "like" the work?

That doesn't matter.

The client still needs to pay the freelancer, regardless of if the client claims to "like" or "not like" the work. If the client truly does not like the work (and isn't simply lying in order to try to get the work for free), then the client has the right to not hire that freelancer again. The client ALSO has the right to leave appropriate feedback that reflects his experience. The client doesn't have the right to "not pay" the freelancer for the work.

So what should YOU do now?

The client has asked for a refund. I think you should say no.

Decline the refund request.

That way the client can't get his money back.

The next step will be a dispute. During the "mediation" process, an Upwork employee will encourage you and the client to come to an agreement. You can offer a compromise. For example, you can offer to refund 20% of the money.

re: "What is its effect on my JSS?"

Disputing or not disputing will not affect your JSS.

Remember that the client ALREADY closed the contract.

The client ALREADY left feedback. The client can't leave more feedback based on whether you dispute or not.

The client ALREADY left private feedback. You can't change that.

BUT: If you agree to a complete refund, then this contract will NOT appear at all in your job history. If you end up getting paid zero for the contract, nothing of it will appear on your profile page. Not feedback. Not a listing. Nothing.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jr-translation
Community Member

Abid H wrote:

Hi,

I have a contract with the client on fix price base. the client told me a lie that it is a special task (not an exam and assignment). but it was his exams. He wants to get my WhatsApp number but I denied it. Whenever I completed his work, the very next moment he canceled the contract without review anything. He wants to get his work free of cost just criticize it without any proof. Now he requested me to release the escrow refund. What should I do? what is its effect on my JSS?

The only thing you can and should do now is inform the university or school about the academic fraud and send them all the evidence. After that you should do yourself the favour and close your freelance account because there is very little tolerance for people violating the ToS especially when commiting academic fraud.

Jennifer R wrote:

Abid H wrote:

Hi,

The only thing you can and should do now is inform the university or school about the academic fraud and send them all the evidence. After that you should do yourself the favour and close your freelance account because there is very little tolerance for people violating the ToS especially when commiting academic fraud.

Hold on a sec.

Did you just suggest OP report himself, jail himself and throw away the keys.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Jennifer addressed one aspect of the original poster's situation. I'll set that aside and address other aspects in a general sense. The following is not about the original poster but applies to fixed-price contracts generally:

re: "He wants to get his work free of cost just criticize it without any proof. Now he requested me to release the escrow refund. What should I do?"

2. Freelancer does task.

That's it.

That is not complicated.

That doesn't matter.

The client still needs to pay the freelancer, regardless of if the client claims to "like" or "not like" the work. If the client truly does not like the work (and isn't simply lying in order to try to get the work for free), then the client has the right to not hire that freelancer again. The client ALSO has the right to leave appropriate feedback that reflects his experience. The client doesn't have the right to "not pay" the freelancer for the work.

The next step will be a dispute. During the "mediation" process, an Upwork employee will encourage you and the client to come to an agreement. You can offer a compromise. For example, you can offer to refund 20% of the money.

The client ALREADY left feedback. The client can't leave more feedback based on whether you dispute or not.

BUT: If you agree to a complete refund, then this contract will NOT appear at all in your job history. If you end up getting paid zero for the contract, nothing of it will appear on your profile page. Not feedback. Not a listing. Nothing.

Thank you for your guidance. 

Preston H wrote:

2. Freelancer does task.

That's it.

That is not complicated.

That doesn't matter.

However the private feedback will still affect JSS isn't it?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Abid,

I've escalated this case to the correct team for their review. Please note that requesting the creation of content that violates academic integrity and academic policies of any educational institution is prohibited on Upwork. For more information, please check out Upwork TOS.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members