🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Client canceled project after I finished it
Page options
rgradisek
Community Member

Client canceled project after I finished it

I had a project for a logo that needed done.  The lady needed it fast, so I had it done for her right away.  She put that it was due September 21st.  I had 6 designs to her the 19th.  When I look it says amount in escrow $100.  I didn't hear back from her the next day.  Then the next day when I looked it says project canceled.  I messaged her and asked her why she canceled the project.  She said...Hi, I didn't. So I responded telling her it says the project is canceled, and did she get the samples?  This was days ago, and she won't respond.  She didn't pay me, and I don't see her asking for a refund.  Did I do something wrong?  I see the money in escrow.  Where I was hired, it says funded.   I'm not sure what to do.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

9 REPLIES 9
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Becky,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had with your client.

Just to confirm, a milestone on your contract was not funded and your contract is now closed. Unfortunately, our Fixed Price Payment protection does not cover unfunded milestones or promised funds. Always make sure that the agreed amount is fully funded on your milestone.
I would also suggest to check out the Safety First section on this Thread and learn more about protecting your self. 
Our team will also investigate your client further for violations of our TOS and take proper actions. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran V wrote:

Just to confirm, a milestone on your contract was not funded and your contract is now closed.

As a client can not (physically) create a contract without funding a milestone and the OP says she sees that there are $ 100 in Escrow, how can there be $ 100 in Escrow if it wasn't funded.

Did the OP fail to accept the contract?

Petra R wrote:

Goran V wrote:

Just to confirm, a milestone on your contract was not funded and your contract is now closed.

As a client can not (physically) create a contract without funding a milestone and the OP says she sees that there are $ 100 in Escrow, how can there be $ 100 in Escrow if it wasn't funded.

Did the OP fail to accept the contract?

I think they can (create contract without funding a milestone).

It happend to me with a client who was yet to verify payment method. They were able to create a contract and set-up a milestone (not funded).

Antun M wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Goran V wrote:

I think they can (create contract without funding a milestone).

It happend to me with a client who was yet to verify payment method. They were able to create a contract and set-up a milestone (not funded).

No.

They can not.

You just don't see the money in all places.

Again: It is not possible to create a fixed rate contract without funding at least the first milestone. The only problem is that unless and until the client verifies the payment method, the money can not be released to the freelancer.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Petra,

I`m sorry about the confusion, I double checked the details and the milestone was funded.

Becky,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket with more details about your contract and assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

The project was canceled by Upwork because of an issue with the client's account.  I was told to get her to contact them to resolve this, then she can open a new contract.  She's not responding.  The escrow was made, and the work was done.  Now the project was canceled and she won't respond.  

tlbp
Community Member

Rebecca G wrote:

The project was canceled by Upwork because of an issue with the client's account.  I was told to get her to contact them to resolve this, then she can open a new contract.  She's not responding.  The escrow was made, and the work was done.  Now the project was canceled and she won't respond.  

If I understand the process correctly, if Upwork bills a client for the escrowed amounts and the payment does not go through, the freelancer does not get paid on a fixed price contract. So even though it appears that funds are held in escrow a credit reversal or fraudulent action by the client can leave the freelancer out of luck. 

OP has most likely been scammed. 

OP if not paid for, the designs belong to you. If you see them being used on the internet, issue a takedown notice. And, you may use them in your portfolio or sell them to another customer because they are yours.  

Rebecca G wrote:

The project was canceled by Upwork because of an issue with the client's account.  I was told to get her to contact them to resolve this, then she can open a new contract.  She's not responding.

The client's payment method was dodgy in other words.

Not much you can do

kat303
Community Member

Rebecca G wrote:

I had a project for a logo that needed done.  The lady needed it fast, so I had it done for her right away.  She put that it was due September 21st.  I had 6 designs to her the 19th.  When I look it says amount in escrow $100.  I didn't hear back from her the next day.  Then the next day when I looked it says project canceled.  I messaged her and asked her why she canceled the project.  She said...Hi, I didn't. So I responded telling her it says the project is canceled, and did she get the samples?  This was days ago, and she won't respond.  She didn't pay me, and I don't see her asking for a refund.  Did I do something wrong?  I see the money in escrow.  Where I was hired, it says funded.   I'm not sure what to do.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

--------------------

Since you were not paid, the copyright of that logo belongs to you. You can use it for your portfolio, you can sell it to someone else. And if you see it published anywhere you can contact the host site with a DMCA notice and have it taken down. 

Hi XXX. Since you have not paid for the logo I designed, the copyright still belongs to me. I can claim ownership of it, use it in my portfolio or even sell it to someone else and if I see it used or published anywhere I will contact the host site provider with a DMCA notice and have it taken down. However if you wish to obtain the copyright so that it belongs to you, it will cost you the agreed upon amount of $100. How do you want to proceed with this.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths