cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client cancelled because his own client cancelled the job.

sidd-art
Siddhartha P Member Since: Feb 18, 2017
1 of 7
Client cancelled contract because his client did. Can he do that? Should I not get paid for whatever work I have already done for him? Yes the work was still in progress but I had already done hours worth of work for him. He stopped replying to me for months and now that I have notified him of that, he cancelled it.
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 7

@Siddhartha P wrote:
Client cancelled contract because his client did. Can he do that? Should I not get paid for whatever work I have already done for him? Yes the work was still in progress but I had already done hours worth of work for him. He stopped replying to me for months and now that I have notified him of that, he cancelled it.

Fixed rate contract or hourly contract?

Was it funded?

Sure, the client can cancel the contract, but if the work you did was on an hourly contract you's have tracked your time (and been paid) and if it was via a funded milestone you'd have submitted the work against the funded milestone and been paid?

sidd-art
3 of 7

It was a fixed price contract with no milestones. 

petra_r
Community Guru
4 of 7

@Siddhartha P wrote:

It was a fixed price contract with no milestones. 

There is no such thing. Any fixed rate contract has a minimum of one funded milestone.

Is the contract still active?

Did you submit work and requested payment using the "submit work and requested payment" function on the contract?

sidd-art
5 of 7

Yes, the client has asked for refund. But why? It wasnt my bad work the reason he cancelled the contract. He has told me specifically that his client (whoever that is who gave him the work) cancelled the agreement with him. I dont care though. I did a lot of work for him and he didnt pay. My time was lost which I could have given for somebody else. Now what do I do? The work has not been complete but I did spend days on that work, sent him multiple samples. 

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 7

Hi Siddhartha, 

If you go to this page, you will see that you are being requested to refund the amount in escrow. You have the option to refund the amount, or file a dispute for the amount in escrow. As it is also shown on the page, you still have 4-days to respond to the refund-request. If you do not respond, the amount in escrow will automatically go to the client's paymet method. 

You may read more about disputes for funds in escrow in this help article.

~ Avery
Upwork
petra_r
Community Guru
7 of 7

Has it been 3 months since the milestone was funded?

If so, Upwork automatically closes the contract as Escrow funds can not be held for ever.

You should have requested payment using the "submit work and request payment" function.

Now all you can do is dispute.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS