cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client cancelled contract and requested refund after project done perfectly

Highlighted
Luke R Member Since: Nov 20, 2013
1 of 46
Hi, This is the first problem I have had with any client. The project was to create a HTML newsletter. I would class myself as an expert within the field so I doubt there are any genuine issues. I have now completed the project and emailed client the code. He has now cancelled the contract and requested a refund and sent me some message saying "your work is not serious" (he's Russian). My time was logged manually as I had an unstable internet connection. Is there anything I can do? Thanks
Highlighted
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
2 of 46
I would start by finding out what the client saw as wrong with the work you sent him. Simply explain that you certainly took the work seriously, but that if he doesn't think so, maybe there was something that got confused in the communication? Just ask. He could be trying to scam you to get the work for free, but if so, he is a poor excuse for a scammer. Clients do not have to pay manual hours, so, if he was just trying to get the work for free he could have just not payed for it.
Highlighted
3 of 46
DP oops
Highlighted
4 of 46
He's now replied and sent me a pic of a small alignment issue, and he wants me to fix it. Do I fix it and hope he will somehow cancel his refund?? Thanks
Highlighted
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
5 of 46
If you authorized a refund already then ask him if he would kindly cancel it and just allow for the resubmission of the time invested for hourly pay? Or could he just pay you flat rate for what it would have been? I'm not sure how that will work out for you. I'd definitely find out about it first before I fixed the issue.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Alexander N Member Since: Sep 14, 2013
6 of 46
If you have already given refund, then congratulations, you were successfully scammed. I bet you'll not be seeing any cash you've earned from this job. It's simple precaution - never give refunds until you know exactly which part of job dissatisfied client and you're absolutely sure it's YOUR fault and there is no way to correct it. Otherwise - negotiate.
Highlighted
Selim H Member Since: Sep 27, 2014
7 of 46
odesk automatically refund dollar from my account to the client without my permission and the client didn't pay me anything until at this moment. I don't know what it was happen. Client didn't response my massage. What can i do now?
Highlighted
8 of 46
I didn't actually refund. I got an email from oDesk saying they are refunding him in 10 days because he cancelled the contract.
Highlighted
9 of 46
oDesk doesn't get to decide whether or not you refund the client. Was this contract possibly under their new "guarantee" program? If so, then it seem likely that he is finding something to fault you with in order to have oDesk honor their guarantee of your work and refund him. Otherwise, oDesk cannot just refund the money. At least not to my knowledge.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
10 of 46
I wonder if some clients are now going to use the guarantee program as a way of getting free work. And Luke is unfortunately now on record as having disappointed a client. Luke, did you ever receive any money for this job?
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS