Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client cancelled contract and requested refund after project done perfectly

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa R Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
11 of 46
Robin, wait... something is not right. Luke said that he logged manual time, right? [quote]My time was logged manually as I had an unstable internet connection.[/quote] But the guarantee does not cover manual time, only hourly rate payments (please correct me if I am wrong). "The Money-Back Guarantee covers the hourly rate payments made in the first two weekly billing periods. It does not cover payments made for bonuses, manual time, expense reimbursements, Fixed-Price Contracts, or milestone payments." So how can oDesk then make a refund to Luke´s client? My initial thought was just like you said, that Luke is covered under the Money-Back Guarantee (at least that´s what it looks like since oDesk told him they will refund the client), but if the manual time is not covered by the guarantee program, then why will oDesk refund the client? Something doesn´t add up here... @Luke Are you sure you logged manual time?
Highlighted
Luke R Member Since: Nov 20, 2013
12 of 46
Yep is 100% manual time. Pending in my account due for 5th of Feb.
Highlighted
Community Guru
13 of 46
I will never understand oDesk... So assuming oDesk will go against their own TOS, refund your client and you keep your earnings, does that mean that the client will still be able to leave feedback? Who keeps the rights to your work? oDesk or you? Did oDesk mention anything about these things?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
14 of 46
Welcome to the new world of oDesk where you're included in shady beta programs without being notified, and where said beta-programs' terms make no sense whatsoever.
Highlighted
Community Guru
15 of 46
Well said, Bojana!
Highlighted
16 of 46
Thanks for the replies. I got 2 emails from oDesk. One standard one saying the client ended the contract. Then another saying the following: We wanted to let you know that your client, xxxxxxx, has requested a refund on contract # xxxxxxx. As this contract is covered by the oDesk Money-Back Guarantee, oDesk will refund the client within ten business days. I don't like how a client can just cancel a contract and get a refund, no questions asked. The money is actually pending in my account, but I'm assuming they are going to take it back before it clears?
Highlighted
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
17 of 46
Luke, don't worry about the money. oDesk will cover it, or that is what they say they will do. [quote=Luke Rowbottom]We wanted to let you know that your client, xxxxxxx, has requested a refund on contract # xxxxxxx. As this contract is covered by the oDesk Money-Back Guarantee, oDesk will refund the client within ten business days.[/quote] What you should worry about is what this "program" and this client are doing to your profile and future on oDesk. Please read this thread: oDesk Money Back Guarantee
Highlighted
18 of 46
Hmmm clearly I have been taken advantage of then, if I was on this beta program.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
19 of 46
It is awful, these Beta programs that Odesk is rolling out, seriously. I think that this one should be ran by the freelancer before they are forced to take part in it because it isn't fair. This is a prime example of how some freelancers are going to be taken advantage of by such a "money back guarantee" offer. I hope that it doesn't cause you too much worry Luke. I hate it happened to you. It appears to me that many of these programs are creating "loss of rights" for many of us contractors. Smiley Sad I don't like it at all.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
20 of 46
That the "alignment" was perfectly acceptable; the client just needed an excuse to get their money back. In a normal job situation, if a client wants a minor change, he contacts the freelancer, freelancer fixes (possibly for additional pay), done and dusted. Yes, I wonder who owns the work now. Edit: Wasn't the guarantee program supposed to apply to "experienced contractors"? No offense, but Luke joined Nov 2013. That doesn't fit my definition of experienced at oDesk. I wouldn't consider myself experienced either, considering the contractors who have been here for years and worked thousands of hours. Let's see. I have been working on an enormous website for months. Hypothetically (I don't think this client would really do this) after it's all done, the client can ask oDesk for their money back, get everything done for free and have no moral qualms about not paying me.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS