cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client cancelled contract and requested refund after project done perfectly

Highlighted
Luke R Member Since: Nov 20, 2013
21 of 46
You're right.. I've only completed around 15 jobs so wouldn't call me experienced, however I think they are basing it on all my reviews, which are all 5 star, within the subject area that I applied for this job.
Highlighted
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
22 of 46
None is shown, but that may be because you haven't given feedback yet. If you haven't, I encourage you to leave feedback that reflects the fact that you turned in quality work but that the client found fault with it in order to ask oDesk for a refund. [quote=Luke Rowbottom] all my reviews, which are all 5 star[/quote] Probably not anymore. It seems to me that a client asking for a refund can't very well provide a 5 star review for the work. That is what irks me so greatly. If not for this program, this underhanded client would not be messing with you. Now, because of oDesk's brilliant plan, your reputation is sullied, if not publicly through a less than stellar review, at least behind the scenes. In a way that affects algorithms and affects which side oDesk may take should there ever be a dispute, you now have a bad mark on your record. This is exactly what I predicted would happen and it makes me so mad! I love how the comment directed at me on that thread states that I don't have to take a job under this program. Oh, Really, oDesk? Luke, were you told ahead of time that oDesk was willing to guarantee your work; that you were part of this program? I am pretty sure that only the client and oDesk know, but it is only the freelancer who takes a reputation hit when things go south (or, I guess, north in the eyes of the scheming client and oDesk). I am just MAD!!! Mad Mad Mad about this.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa R Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
23 of 46
[quote]Wasn't the guarantee program supposed to apply to "experienced contractors"? No offense, but Luke joined Nov 2013. That doesn't fit my definition of experienced at oDesk.[/quote] "Who is eligible for the Money-Back Guarantee? During the beta phase, this is a very exclusive program. Only freelancers who have satisfied all or almost all of their clients are rewarded with this guarantee. Satisfaction is measured by zero—or close to zero—disputes, chargebacks, and complaints, and very high public feedback ratings. Freelancers also qualify by being a very strong fit for the job, with relevant skills, tests or certifications, and past work experience." Luke is eligible for this program. An experienced freelancer with thousands of hours under their belt wouldn´t be eligible if they had bad work history, chargebacks, disputes, etc. The guarantee program is not based on how long a freelancer has been on oDesk, but how they perform, their reputation, clients´ satisfaction, skills, etc. [quote]Let's see. I have been working on an enormous website for months. Hypothetically (I don't think this client would really do this) after it's all done, the client can ask oDesk for their money back, get everything done for free and have no moral qualms about not paying me.[/quote] No, this scenario would not be possible because a client can´t request a refund after months of work. They can only claim for a refund on the hours worked and paid for during the first two billing cycles. In other words, your client wouldn´t be able to ask for his/her money back after the second billing week.
Highlighted
24 of 46
Anyway I fixed the issue as I had nothing to lose. Now lets see if the client somehow retracts what he did and oDesk don't pay him back. If they actually look at my correspondence with the client they will see he cancelled the contract on very slim grounds and hopefully do something about it...
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Alexander N Member Since: Sep 14, 2013
25 of 46
Maybe you should also open a separate case with oDesk support about it, providing them with all correspondence between you and client and your standpoint on the issue. Hourly contracts can be disputed from both sides.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
26 of 46
this is one of my pet peeve, a client abusing the odesk system and odesk being too lenient with them. I hope that this client does not get a refund and if he still wants one even after the contractor fixing his very small issue, then he is definitely a scammer. I also wish that odesk would just ban clients after a certain number of refunds or if a lot of contractor has given them bad rating. One client of mine is threatening he will get me banned from odesk, because I gave him a 1 score on feedback from a job done over half a year ago. Crazy, considering a huge percentage of his contractors left him the same feedback as I did. Sorry, bad clients are my pet peeve

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
27 of 46
Of course, I meant an experienced contractor with good feedback. I wouldn't expect someone with poor feedback to be guaranteed.
Highlighted
Liudas B Member Since: Mar 14, 2012
28 of 46
This is nonsense . I had not to accept 2 contract ,because of this . For some reason i am into this money back guarantee thing too. For one contract i managed to convince client to switch on fixed price project.For other client said he is hiring me because of that guarantee . Also not much related ,but i discovered another bull* from Odesk side. Basically like 6 months ago i stooped get real invites (only spam from gteam).I didn't make much out of it as i had enough to keep me busy .Last weak i needed to find new jobs to do ,i noticed all similar contractors on my profile is video editors without any feedback. So basically i removed from skill "3d animation" ,"video-editing" .And guess what ? IT was all it took to start to get good invitations again . In 6 months i was getting spam invites , removed 2 skills - 8 invitations in 8 days ,all related to what i do. So odesk search/suggest algorithm is so dumb that 7 skills code related and 2 skills of animations makes me unskilled animator. Removed those and iam good again. So my suggestion for those who has great profile ,but doesn't get much of invites .Look at yours skill and make them all related to one category .As from my experience Odesk algorithm is just too dumb to understand that people can do code and animation . I hope it helps ! I am sry for my English .
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
29 of 46
I have a similar experience. I've suddenly stopped getting invitations (although right now I'm too busy with old jobs to take any new ones) and I have lots of different skills. The thing is, clients used to invite me specifically because they want someone with combinations of different skills. For example, one invited me because I can write about science topics and I am familiar with the Joomla backend. Funny, outside of oDesk someone recently contacted me about a writing/photography job, which I couldn't do because I'm not a photographer, but clearly there is a need for someone with both skills. Maybe this is a move toward the Elance system of your membership plan restricting the number of job categories you can bid in.
Highlighted
30 of 46
Hi Guys, Quick update on this. The client eventually messaged me saying he was now happy with the project and it was complete. So I emailed oDesk and they came back with the following response; "When clients request for refund under the Money Back Guarantee, oDesk reviews the request and covers for refund as needed. Should we determine that hours logged by freelancer do not qualify for payment guarantee, a refund corresponding to the improperly logged hours is issued from freelancer's account. Should a refund be issued for hours not in compliance to oDesk Payment Guarantee, this will reflect on your financial history." Correct me if I'm wrong but are they saying, even though the client is happy, he is still getting a refund? And what is worse is that I could have to pay this refund and this is also likely to be detrimental to my good standing? Thanks
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS