cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client cancelled contract and requested refund after project done perfectly

Highlighted
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
31 of 46
[quote=Luke R.]"When clients request for refund under the Money Back Guarantee, oDesk reviews the request and covers for refund as needed. Should we determine that hours logged by freelancer do not qualify for payment guarantee, a refund corresponding to the improperly logged hours is issued from freelancer's account. Should a refund be issued for hours not in compliance to oDesk Payment Guarantee, this will reflect on your financial history."[/quote] This is absolutely unbelievable! "Should we determine that hours logged by freelancer do not qualify for payment guarantee..." the answer to this is to the client, "Sorry, those hours aren't covered." The answer is not "oh, we'll just take it from the freelancer, then, even though we never asked him to be part of this program." The client OKed your manual hours (or at least he didn't challenge them). That means that he went outside the bounds of the program he was wishing to use. This whole thing needs to be between oDesk and the client. They need to leave the freelancer out of it completely. Of course, that means they have to actually put some thought into who they are willing to offer the guarantee to and whose work they are willing to cover. How crazy is this!
Highlighted
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
32 of 46
[quote=Luke R.]We wanted to let you know that your client, xxxxxxx, has requested a refund on contract # xxxxxxx. As this contract is covered by the oDesk Money-Back Guarantee, oDesk will refund the client within ten business days. [/quote] [quote=Luke R.]"When clients request for refund under the Money Back Guarantee, oDesk reviews the request and covers for refund as needed. Should we determine that hours logged by freelancer do not qualify for payment guarantee, a refund corresponding to the improperly logged hours is issued from freelancer's account. Should a refund be issued for hours not in compliance to oDesk Payment Guarantee, this will reflect on your financial history."[/quote] oDesk, make your mind up, it's either guaranteed or not.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
33 of 46
This worries me. When I went through my ongoing contracts, 3 of them are under the money back guarantee thing (I was not aware of this when the contracts started), and the clients are happy with the work I've already done. What worries me is why they haven't closed the contracts yet when the work has already been delivered. Is it because they know they can ask for a refund even if I have it in writing that the work is "great" as one of my clients say? They did reply they will keep the contracts ongoing as they might still need me in the future, but I can't help worrying a bit because of what I read here in the forum and what other freelancers stories I've read from other sites. For the jobs mentioned above, I did not log in manual time, but if the client asks for a refund and that it may reflect on my standing, I find it unfair. I do not want to be a part of this money back guarantee thing in the first place.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Highlighted
Russell C Member Since: Jan 25, 2014
34 of 46
From a client's point of view, I would understand completely if you asked me to go ahead and close the contract when the project is complete. The only thing a client could "gain" by leaving a contract open would be the time that it takes to write a new job description and invite you to view it. Each contract should only be a reflection of the work the contract entails. Just as you do your part to deliver quality work for your client, your client owes it to you to treat your contract with respect. They should close the contract reflecting that the work has been completed successfully. To leave a contract open could be to say to the Freelancer "you did a good job again this time, but you better watch it, one false move and your reputation will be wiped away!" If you do good work, you should not hesitate to ask for professionalism in return. At least that is my opinion.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
35 of 46
[quote=Russell C.] The only thing a client could "gain" by leaving a contract open would be the time that it takes to write a new job description[/quote] You can just repost the job, even if the job post has been closed you still have the option to repost
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
36 of 46
If the money is taken from your account, then you own the work and the client can't use it. Send him and oDesk a friendly notice that if the work is used without your consent you will sue under DMCA.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
37 of 46
The DMCA could be placed on the forum in a permanent position, so that contractors understand where they stand with their work. I find that there are so many people who have no idea they own copyrights in situations like these. Educating others about this could really make a difference in how situations are handled as contractors! I think it could help anyway. It is important that everyone understands the time they invest into the work they provide is always their property until the client pays what is owed. One thing I've wondered on hourly contracts....Say a client's payment method on hourly jobs goes schizo suddenly, but Odesk still ensures payment to the contractor. Who really owns the rights to the completed work if the clients payment method was foul? Odesk? Something to think about.
Highlighted
Community Guru
38 of 46
In this case, the freelancer never received any money in the end, so he still owns the work. But if oDesk covers the payment, then it seems to me that oDesk owns it. However, the fact the client even considers using the work means that it wasn't bad and that the request for money back was fraudulent. Leaving copyright matters aside, I think that if a client gets their money back via the guarantee program and is later discovered to have used the work anyway, the client should suspended/banned.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
39 of 46
I have one client who used my unpaid work and after filing a dispute on oDesk about it, they just sent me a message that the client has been warned. This happened when I was very new at freelancing and writing, but to think that all the client got was a warning is super unfair imo. Unpaid work should still be the contractor's property. If the client asked to be refunded or has been refunded voluntarily by the contractor, that should be considered as work which they have not paid for. oDesk keeps on going against their own TOS its grrrr, especially for individuals who adhere to what is right.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Highlighted
Community Guru
40 of 46
oDesk is not above the law.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS